Issues after router change

Reaction score
Will try not to write a book here; My ISP replaced my router recently; solved their problem but created more for me; pre change, my Desktop PC and Media player showed up under networking in Win 10 as did my laptop and printer (wireless). Could see each other for file moving etc. Now, everything is connected ok to router but can't see each other. Laptop does not recognize the Desktop name and the laptop name does not show up on Desktop; I have added a new Samsung TV which is connected to the network ( can't see it ) and a new Yamaha receiver (can see that Ok)

So my friends, what is this old-guy missing here; obviously something has changed. Maybe a setting in the Router that I am unaware of ( will look into that ).
Scratching my head. Networking is not my forte!

Reaction score
I wonder.
Are some of your devices wired to the router and some wireless?
If there are some wired are they OK but the WiFi ones not working?
Were any of the devices set up using WPS before the change?
Did the new router have the same SSID(s) for WiFi as the previous one.

Are all the devices in the same network AND all within the DHCP range specified by the router.

Reaction score
Desktop and media player are hardwired and working; laptop and printer are wireless and are properly connected and working ( media player can't see back at the PC though). Just can't see each other on the network with new Router.

Reaction score
router p1.jpg
router p2.jpg

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Did you create a local network like we used to do for windows 7 for file sharing. If so, when the router was changed it broke the network and now has to be recreated.

Trouble is our resident Networking guru.....wait to see if he pops in and has to say about it.

Reaction score
made some progress I think; went into Norton 360 which controls defender and changed a setting under "firewall"; changed network trust to FULL TRUST. When I now click on TRAVELER which is my laptop I am asked for credentials which now don't work. On accessing the Desktop from the laptop I can get into my shared folders by clicking on THIS PC. So, why it changed I don't know; looking like router is not the culprit after all; I will keep plugging away. Thanks for help and will let you know when I can access the laptop.

Reaction score
well that info froze my poor brain; way over my head. No idea what to make of NAT and the changes possible in the router.
About this issue; i am stuck with Credentials being the main issue now. Trying to prove to myself what the actual credentials are on both units.

Reaction score
Did you change the new Router’s SSID & Passphrase to match the old Router or change all your devices to the new details?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
NAT or Network Address Translation is simply a physical hardware means of masking your private inside address assigned to those nodes from being publicly available or even addressable.
Generally you'll find that when IP addresses change as in your case with a new router all network nodes gets new IP addresses from its' DHCP function.
It will take a while before those IP addresses combined with the nodes NetBIOS names are promulgated across the network to all nodes, ultimately resulting in those names associated with those IP addresses being locally cached into a NetBIOS name table.
That is the information you see when you look into "Network" in File Explorer.
Sometimes you can hurry the process by pinging the various nodes one from the other by IP address and by Name (NetBIOS)

You can use the nbtstat command to watch or determine which node has what information regarding other nodes.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I guess we can be grateful that it isn't still NetBEUI
But unless you have a Domain and an internal DNS server to resolve Fully Qualified Domain Names to IP address
OR
A WINs server to resolve Computer Names to IP addresses
It's pretty much left to NetBIOS to sort things out, I thought for a while they were just going to steal Apples' Bonjour Service

Reaction score
Did you change the new Router’s SSID & Passphrase to match the old Router or change all your devices to the new details?
Changes ALL my equipment to match the new router; no issue there as everything connected just fine.

Reaction score
NAT or Network Address Translation is simply a physical hardware means of masking your private inside address assigned to those nodes from being publicly available or even addressable.
Generally you'll find that when IP addresses change as in your case with a new router all network nodes gets new IP addresses from its' DHCP function.
It will take a while before those IP addresses combined with the nodes NetBIOS names are promulgated across the network to all nodes, ultimately resulting in those names associated with those IP addresses being locally cached into a NetBIOS name table.
That is the information you see when you look into "Network" in File Explorer.
Sometimes you can hurry the process by pinging the various nodes one from the other by IP address and by Name (NetBIOS)

You can use the nbtstat command to watch or determine which node has what information regarding other nodes.
Just an up date; been making some minor changes and checked over the Network options like turning off the password requirement on both machines. Now, if I try to access the laptop from the desktop I get the age-old enter network credentials issue which should be ( think ) what I use to log into the laptop. on boot-up.
Looking at desktop from laptop I get to see all my folders which are shared by the way but not allowed to access them due to permissions issue. Still not giving up. Still no problem getting into my media player from either machine. Can see all the folders on it's 4T internal drive and It's 4T external drive.

Reaction score
Network credentials are the Router’s SSID & passphrase not the Windows login.
It would’ve been easier to change the new router’s details to the old router than change all the devices to the new router’s details.

Reaction score
Network credentials are the Router’s SSID & passphrase not the Windows login.
It would’ve been easier to change the new router’s details to the old router than change all the devices to the new router’s details.

Well I sure didn't know that. Makes me wonder if I should be entering the Router's username and password. I have been making some changes within Windows Network setting including Network Credential username and passwords. Did a backup first of course. Now the win 10 laptop can enter and view all the hard drives and folders.
Desktop however is stuck at permissions; checked all the shared drives and folders and permissions are all checked for everyone.
I rebuilt the desktop Sept 1 2018 with a totally fresh m-board etc and a fresh install and had Networking problems from the get-go. One would think that Microsoft would have come up with a step by step check-up to correct these problem. There were issues back when workgroups first came out.

Reaction score
You can always try.
Ensure the network drivers are up to date too.
If you’re trying to access another PC on the network then you’ll require the username & password of that device.

Reaction score
The changes that I have attempted has stopped the request for Network Credentials. As I said, I am being told that I require permissions set; and they are.

Attachments

• From Desktop to Laptop.jpg
    From Desktop to Laptop.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 182
  • From Laptop To Desktop.jpg
    From Laptop To Desktop.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 179
Reaction score

Ask a Question