SOLVED Windows 10 2004 Start menu issues

Reaction score
Windows 10 2004 Start menu issues

I do not know when the issue started but I can not open my start menu anymore. left click on it does not get a response, however right click opens a list with a lot of options. the system is 2004.19041.329
The rest of the taskbar icons works as suppose to. I have tried SFC/ Scannow already but it tells me everything is peachy. Tried updating (no updates avail) and went through 4 pages of search results here dealing with the issue. None of them worked so far. I have not done a reset yet and ,frankly, I do not want to.
Created another user named 'test' and of course the start menu works there. So it seems, something got screwed up in my user account. However, I have no clue where to start at this point.

Reaction score
@bassfisher6522 : rebooting does not do anything.

@Wolfie : I exported the key before I tried that but it did not help. Thanks for the tip.

I guess I have to wait until the next CU is out (usually that solves it, maybe..)

[edit]
Had an idea to restore the system to an previous image. the last one I made was from 2 weeks ago and it was the 19H2. well, it can't hurt and I can start over with 2004... cross my fingers

Last edited:

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I think I may follow suit....as of late....my 20H1 has been giving me fits with software/drivers. A few BSOD's relating to "system memory management". I think that's directly related to Synapse 3.0 being a beta and forced on us Razer product users.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
After watching the series "Vikings", I want to visit Norway, Denmark and the rest of that area. I think I have Viking blood in me....lol.

Reaction score
well, I restored my two week old system and have my start menu back. The computer is now on 1909.18363.904 . I was offered the 2004 but after I clicked on it to download and install it suddenly went away and stopped the update. When checking for updates the 2004 is not offered anymore.

Gonna install it from my medium now.....

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I remember hearing/reading something about the offer being pulled for some users....can't remember why. I would just stick with 1909.

Reaction score
I am on 2004 but the only problem I have is that the Edge Browser (Chrome version) has a couple of problems, other than that, it works!. :cool:

Reaction score
Well, what a surprise. 20H1 refuses to be installed claiming my computer is not ready (not through WU but the ISO instead). I wonder why since I am already running Insider DEV on the same machine. It is getting more and more ridiculous what MS is doing.....

I am soooo annoyed right now.

Reaction score
I had a hard drive laying around so I decided to clean install 2004 on my laptop. I usually run linux on it, but I've had various versions of 10 on it without issue. Most recently 1903. So it ran without issue for a couple days. I was actually impressed with the performance. Then yesterday it started dropping wifi. I reconnected. It was fine for awhile, then did it again. This time it wouldn't reconnect. Downloaded the latest drivers from Acer. Same issue. Then noticed after booting, Defender wasn't active. Reboot fine. Boot back up later, not active again. Enough of 2004 for now. Put the Manjaro hdd back in. Zero problems.

Reaction score
Nope, upgrade. It used to be on that machine, you now, at least for two weeks until I had the issue with the start menu.
I looked for a troubleshooter for start menu but couldn't find anything that would help apart from what I posted above!. :)

Ask a Question