SOLVED It's been a month...

Bif

Reaction score
Here's a brain buster for you all,after the dreaded one month period of no return and once MS deletes my old 7 OS into the digital graveyard what becomes of my Windows 7 Recovery Partition and can I once 7 is a mere memory use that partition for my Windows 10 Recovery??..When they delete the old system will it also delete this partition?..
I think this is a 3 Scotcher!...here's mud in yer eye!

Untitled.jpg

Reaction score
MS will only delete old files within it's own backup folders. Your recovery partition will remain unchanged and fully functional.

Reaction score
MS will only delete old files within it's own backup folders. Your recovery partition will remain unchanged and fully functional.

You are saying Windows Old is in the recovery partition? I thought they were in partition C as that is where I gained space when I deleted them.

Wow, there is a lot of used space in Bifs Recovery partition. Why is that?

Reaction score
No I'm saying Windows.old is the folder Windows will use to reinstate your old operating system. Your recovery partition is a whole different partition designed to restore you machine back to factory condition. They are two independent recovery methods.

Bif

Reaction score
I'm aware that it deletes its own backup folder in C drive..but if it leaves the Recovery unchanged doesn't that mean the my old Windows 7 recovery will still be in it?..that will be as useful as a tit on a bull to me.or will it still be possible to restore my laptop back to factory Windows 7 that it came with?

Bif

Reaction score
You are saying Windows Old is in the recovery partition? I thought they were in partition C as that is where I gained space when I deleted them.

Wow, there is a lot of used space in Bifs Recovery partition. Why is that?
How much room should there be in my Recovery?...I haven't/can't touch it so I haven't a clue.

Reaction score
..but if it leaves the Recovery unchanged doesn't that mean the my old Windows 7 recovery will still be in it?
Yep, that's what I'm saying. Now that you have moved forward into Windows 10, the old recovery partition is likely not needed. That's pretty much the equivalent of needing to throw away your old DVD recovery media, because you are no longer using that OS. Or needing to delete an old Backup image because you now need newer ones.
How much room should there be in my Recovery?...I haven't/can't touch it so I haven't a clue.
That's a common size for Windows 7. Windows XP was much smaller, that may be where the confusion is at.

Bif

Reaction score
Yep, that's what I'm saying. Now that you have moved forward into Windows 10, the old recovery partition is likely not needed. That's pretty much the equivalent of needing to throw away your old DVD recovery media, because you are no longer using that OS. Or needing to delete an old Backup image because you now need newer ones.

That's a common size for Windows 7. Windows XP was much smaller, that may be where the confusion is at.
Good to know!...I know there is an HP article on deleting this partition,will look into that..cheers for the clarity.

Reaction score
Good to know!...I know there is an HP article on deleting this partition,will look into that..cheers for the clarity.
Here is one from How To Geek:

http://www.howtogeek.com/139710/remove-your-pc’s-recovery-partition-and-take-control-of-your-hdd/

I do not have a restore partition:

Storage.PNG

You will notice that I do not have a great deal stored on C which is because I store it on USB drives. To be honest it is because I do not have much to store. I do keep copy's on USB drives.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don't have a restore partition either:(
I think thats a good thing. However; I would like to hear how to add it. In experimenting with the above utility I was unable too. I split the C partition and renamed it Restore (D) but when I selected "Apply" it tried but failed to comply.

Bif

Reaction score
I'm leaving mine intact and alone,I've done allot of reading on the pros and cons of deleting it and for the risks involved such as the deletion of some proprietary HP files that maybe aren't in the forefront but are there to just make the system run smooth.It isn't taking up a great deal of space and now with having deleted the Windows.old folder I gained space so I'm quitting while I'm ahead.

Reaction score
I don't have a restore partition either:(
I read your other post about a failure to "Create" a Restore Drive. I think it is about understanding what that drive contains. If it is deleted a bunch of stuff is deleted (Layman's terms). It is not just an empty partition. It should be obvious that that "stuff" is gone forever. It can not be recreated.
I have had absolutely no problems after deleting it aside from the minor glitches in my system which I have noted in other posts. I am glad to see it gone.

Reaction score
I'm leaving mine intact and alone,I've done allot of reading on the pros and cons of deleting it and for the risks involved such as the deletion of some proprietary HP files that maybe aren't in the forefront but are there to just make the system run smooth.It isn't taking up a great deal of space and now with having deleted the Windows.old folder I gained space so I'm quitting while I'm ahead.
It is your choice. I must be honest, I removed that partition completely by accident and would not have otherwise. Now after reading about in the How To Geek article I posted, I am sorry I did not do it sooner.

Bif

Reaction score
It is your choice. I must be honest, I removed that partition completely by accident and would not have otherwise. Now after reading about in the How To Geek article I posted, I am sorry I did not do it sooner.
I remember reading on an HP forum recently that when you upgrade to 10 the existing (7) recovery partition is now converted to 10 recovery partition,I'm not sold on that as that's the only place I've read it and I have a better chance of having tea with Putin than reaching anyone at HP for the official poop..

Reaction score
but if it leaves the Recovery unchanged doesn't that mean the my old Windows 7 recovery will still be in it?..that will be as useful as a tit on a bull to me.
In my neck of the woods it would be "Worthless as tits on a boar hog". Same sentiment though.. Also, when you see Putin, he is more likely to serve Vodka. This is a great thread you started, kudos.

Bif

Reaction score
In my neck of the woods it would be "Worthless as tits on a boar hog". Same sentiment though.. Also, when you see Putin, he is more likely to serve Vodka. This is a great thread you started, kudos.
I'm here all week...try the veal

Reaction score
I'm here all week...try the veal
That one went right over my head (I am short). I was just viewing Davidhk129's recent post to the thread "Can not create recovery drive". He advises the OP to create a system image backup. If you ever decide to delete that recovery partition and worry about losing something simply create a system image backup first if you have not done so already.

Ask a Question