SOLVED It's been a month...

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Imaging is always good advise however;
One should be aware that a "System Image" may not always provide a comprehensive backup as it may not include other partitions or drives on the system.
A disk image solution might be a better choice as it will allow you to target whole drives which would include your recovery partition prior to deleting it.
I wrote an old post about this, warning people (which apparently not many read) to do something like this in advance of the upgrade.
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/

Bif

Reaction score
Imaging is always good advise however;
One should be aware that a "System Image" may not always provide a comprehensive backup as it may not include other partitions or drives on the system.
A disk image solution might be a better choice as it will allow you to target whole drives which would include your recovery partition prior to deleting it.
I wrote an old post about this, warning people (which apparently not many read) to do something like this in advance of the upgrade.
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/
Now I have a question with regards to system image backup,I have already done a system image after upgrade to 10,now with 7 remaining tucked away in the Window.old folder at that point I sort of understood why it kept showing (Windows 7) in the restore/system backup settings.I'm still not sure what version it imaged to be honest,now with the Windows.old folder long gone and deleted why does the (Windows 7) still appear if I want to system image 10??I was under the impression that I first imaged 7 but now I have no idea,but ultimate goal is to image the new 10...is there any way of checking the actual ISO file for any signs of the version??

Untitled.jpg

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Where is it
kept showing (Windows 7) in the restore/system backup settings
If you are talking about the Title of the Utility, then you can disregard that as it doesn't seem to have acquired a new name in quite some time.
You system image will be of the "system" that was present when the image was created, in your case I believe 10.
is there any way of checking the actual ISO file for any signs of the version
Although I do not use the native Windows System Image utility, I was under the impression that it created .vhd files rather than .iso files.
In either case you should be able to mount it and check to see if your folders (Desktop, Docs, Music, Pictures, etc.,) reflect what you expect to see.

Bif

Reaction score
Thanks Trouble,that makes sense.The confusion (on my part) is from burning a 10 ISO just for safe keeping and saving a system image to an external HD..at this point with all of this tech talk I don't know my hole from an ass in the ground.
I'm in need of a break...a great weekend to you all!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Do what?
Mount something?
In the case of both an ISO (.iso) and VHD (.vhd & vhdx) file you simply right click it and choose "mount".

Reaction score
Do what?
Mount something?
In the case of both an ISO (.iso) and VHD (.vhd & vhdx) file you simply right click it and choose "mount".
That may seem awful basic but I have never had occasion to do that before. This is my first experience as I have said before in creating a backup.

I just successfully did that and after mounting was able to verify that it was successful. The previous one with Macrium Reflect did not work so I used your favorite Acronis True Image and it was far better. It recognized my USB stick which Macrium did not. It was truly a wizard, seemed to know exactly what I wanted. It is still a 30 day free trial by the way. I see why you payed for the full version. I guess this is why you get paid the big bucks. Thank you once again.

The USB image I recently made was not usable I found this out when I mounted it or rather tried to mount it. So you other folks who have image backups better verify them by mounting or you may be very sad when you go to use them. And, like me, find out now how to actually perform the backup operation if or rather when the need arises.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I have heard many, many stories about the native Windows System Image utility. Some report exceptional results, while others report disaster.
My own, very brief experience was less than satisfactory as it seemed if you decided to relocate your backup image to a new location the utility had no feature to allow me to browse and find it. I thought that, that may have been remedied in more recent iterations but maybe not.
Acronis is the way to go (for me) I've used it for a very long time now and while I have experimented with AOEMI and AX64 and a couple others, always looking for a cheap or free alternative I've always come back to Acronis.

It is not 100% bullet proof but it is damn close to it and if you do your due diligence and mount your .tib file and inspect it by browsing the contents you can pretty much be sure, if you need it, it will work.

Ask a Question