Page fault error, haven't been able to start my new computer in months! Help!

Nic

Reaction score
Computer was working with a few startup errors every now and then. For the past two months I can't get into Windows. At the spinning circle it goes to a blue screens and gives an error:

page fault in nonpaged area windows 10 ntfs.sys

Then it restarts and does it again. I can't get into safe mode. I tried booting Windows from the cd drive with a Windows 7 disk and the same error shows up with a old style blue screen of death.

Every tutorial or walk through online tries to fix the problem from Windows or in safe mode. I can't get to that point. I don't even know how to get into safe mode in Windows 10.

I'm a teacher and need this machine for work and have no extra money to spend on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm at wits end. Thanks for your help.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Given the current state of your computer and the fact that you do not have any money to spend on repairs your available options might be limited.
The error you are getting might suggest a memory module problem, or a physical problem with your hard disk drive or....
It might be something as simple as a bad driver attempting to load or some severely corrupted Operating System files.

To address some of these, to begin with you will need access to a second computer that functions. Do you have any such access?
I don't even know how to get into safe mode in Windows 10
A good place and maybe the first place to start, just to see if the problem you are having might possibly be a bad driver, but....

You will need to have a windows 10 boot disk preferably the Windows 10 Installation Media.
You can obtain that here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
Choose Windows 10, the first item in the first drop down (not single language at the bottom)
Next choose your language and your bit version (32 or 64 bit to match your system architecture or in the case of an upgrade, to match your currently installed version of Windows).
That will provide an ISO that will upgrade, repair (or clean install) either or both Windows 10 Pro and Home.
Once you have downloaded the ISO you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD http://imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
OR
Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive http://rufus.akeo.ie/
When you've managed to boot from the installation media you need to click the Repair Your PC link on the second page after the Choose a Language and Keyboard layout page.
That should get you to the Advanced Troubleshooting options.

Screen3.JPG

From there you can attempt to use Startup Settings to see if you can get to Safe Mode that way. IF that fails then use the "Command Prompt" option and follow these steps.
In the Command Prompt window type
bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy
reboot your PC and tap the F8 key (no shift key required) and it should work for you as it has in the past.

Nic

Reaction score
Update: I disconnected the main ssd drive that had Windows ten on it and installed Windows 7 on another drive on the same computer. Works fine. Now if I try to boot the computer from the drive with Windows 7 on it and have the ssd drive hooked up I get the same message even bough I'm not booting from that drive. It seems as if even if it's hooked up it creates the error. If I disconnect it, the computer runs fine. I want to just format the drive but I can't figure out how if I can boot the computer with it hooked up.

Ask a Question