Jumping task bar

Reaction score
The notification area of my Windows 10 task bar keeps expanding and contracting in jerky little movements, sometimes very rapidly. I've done all the cleaning, rebooting, and checking non Windows programs suggested on another thread, but it still jumps around. Seems to remain functional, but sometimes I can't click on the icon I want because it's moving so rapidly. Don't see any effect on other areas, but this is both distracting and annoying.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Try changing the Notification Area as to how it displays icons.
Right click the taskbar and choose "Taskbar settings"
In the window that, that produces scroll down a bit if necessary and under the section labeled "Notification area" click the link that says "Select which icons appear on the taskbar"
In the subsequent Window at the very top switch the slider to "On" where it says "Always show all icons in the notification area"
See if that provides any difference as to what is happening and see if you can identify the notification icon that keeps opening and closing.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, but this didn't work. If anything, it's jumping around faster. It does no real harm, but it's driving me nuts! (Which is not really a drive, but more like a short putt.)

Ask a Question