Task manager includes memory card in disk usage

Reaction score
My Windows 10 task manager shows the disk usage of C: (the system hard disk) and E: (a memory card socket). This is quite annoying as the total disk usage shows 50% when the hard disk is fully utilised, because it's including the empty memory card socket. Any way of stopping it including the memory card socket in the calculation?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
it's including the empty memory card socket
I'm not seeing what you are seeing.
Can you provide an image capture of what you are asking about as I have below....

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    150.8 KB · Views: 307
Reaction score
Some time back I thought I had a similar issue but turned out to be the card reader in the printer. It's easy to forget it is there.

Reaction score
My Windows 10 task manager shows the disk usage of C: (the system hard disk) and E: (a memory card socket). This is quite annoying as the total disk usage shows 50% when the hard disk is fully utilised, because it's including the empty memory card socket. Any way of stopping it including the memory card socket in the calculation?

How did you get to that conclusion?? the only (almost) 50% I see is your memory (that is the RAM, not the hard drive or the card reader)....
I think you may have miss-interpreted the data....

Reaction score
The 50% that annoys me is on the processes tab, here:

At the time of the screenshot, drive C: was 100% utilised, but drive E: had no card in it. The task manager has taken the average of 100% and 0% and displayed 50%.

Reaction score

E: is a card reader in the front of the computer, presumably USB.

Well, this is what I had to work with originally, not the second one you posted. Which version of Windows 10 are you running??
I remember there was a version that did not accurately showed the percentage in the task manager which was suppose to be fixed with one of the following Cumulative updates. That may or may not be the case here (I think it was 1803.17134)...

BTW: you can attach pictures in your posts...

Reaction score
Sorry, I forgot to show the other tab the first time round. And I didn't realise this forum allowed files. I've not been here before. I got banned from the last place for mentioning piratebay :)

AFAIK I have the latest version (winver says version 1809, OS build 17763.253), I have automatic updates on - since it refuses to stop me from doing so anymore - I used to update once a month, when I was ready, and not when I was in the middle of something and had left the room to make a coffee and come back to find it restarting with all my work lost. You'd think a restart would at least save open files. And no I can't use "active times" because the time I use the computer is different every day.

Reaction score
The latest update for Version 1809 is Build 17763.292.
And no I can't use "active times" because the time I use the computer is different every day.
Does that mean your access varies by the time of day or days you work? It shouldn't make a difference if the computer is left on for getting the updates. It could be an issue if using Metered Internet Connection service/s or if in a company the computer may be controlled by other things.

Reaction score
The latest update for Version 1809 is Build 17763.292.

Nearly there, no doubt it'll restart my computer without my permission again shortly then.

Does that mean your access varies by the time of day or days you work? It shouldn't make a difference if the computer is left on for getting the updates. It could be an issue if using Metered Internet Connection service/s or if in a company the computer may be controlled by other things.

I mean each day I use the computer at different times, so I cannot set a time I'm not using it. I don't have a metered connection, but I strongly object to the utter stupidity of restarting without my permission. If there's an update, it should by all means download and install, but the restart should wait indefinitely until the user clicks a button to go ahead. Restarting someone's computer is a big deal!

Reaction score
If there's an update, it should by all means download and install, but the restart should wait indefinitely until the user clicks a button to go ahead.
That's all I get, nothing automatic and I leave my computers on continuously. No point in shutting down when it would only be for 5 - 6 hours.

Reaction score
But what if you were in the middle of something, then go to bed or go out somewhere for hours. Then you come back and your unsaved work is lost because of an unauthorised restart? Even if you've saved everything, having the 5 applications that were running no longer there is a damn nuisance, because you forget what you were in the middle of. The "we need to restart" dialog should never ever continue until it's clicked.

Ask a Question