SOLVED Cursor keeps jumping around in File Explorer

Reaction score
As Scotty might say to Captain Kirk, "Captain, I have no control!". When I am trying to do some cleanup or other work amongst my files in File Explorer, the cursor keeps jumping around, and it is difficult to keep it grounded in the spot I'm working on. Anyone have any remedies for this very annoying bug?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You don't mention the type of computer involved (Laptop Desktop, etc.)
AND, you don't mention what is generating the cursor ( mouse wired or wireless, trackpad, etc.,)
With that information we may be able to suggest something helpful

Reaction score
My mistake. It's not the cursor that keeps jumping around, it's the scroll bar. After I highlight one file, the scrollbar jumps elsewhere, and I have to scroll back to where I was. And I'm using a desktop with a wired mouse with a scroll wheel. Please let me know if you need more info. And thanks...

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Do you perchance have a slide show set as your desktop background.
If so change it to a static picture and see if that helps with your problem.

Reaction score
Thanks, that fix seems to work, but are you telling me that the world’s most advanced operating system will not allow me to have a photo slideshow on my desktop background without the annoyance of a roving scrollbar while in File Explorer? Surely Microsoft must have a solution for this bug. I like my Desktop slideshow. Must I give it up forever?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It seems to be linked to the background changing often and your having the slider on that, is attempting to "Automatically pick an accent color from my background".
See if switching that slider to "Off" helps you get your slideshow back and stops the jumping in file explorer.
Click the Start Button and choose Settings -> Personalization -> Colors (left column).

Reaction score
Trouble, you are the opposite of trouble. It worked! You are good! How is it that you knew that bit of Windows 10 minutiae? Please don't quit as moderator. We need you.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Please don't quit as moderator
Thanks, and I'm not going anywhere. I like it here.
As far as knowing about the various little annoyances that is part and parcel of Windows 10.......
I'm pretty sure that I read it, probably right here on this forum. Unfortunately it was likely dispersed across multiple threads so maybe now that both considerations are condensed into your thread it'll be easier to find.

Reaction score
The problem is still a problem for me. Switching OFF the Color Selection did not solve the problem. When I first bring up Explorer and slide the scroll bar down and then move across to select a folder, the scroll bar jumps back up to the top. It seems to do this randomly.

HELP!

Ask a Question