SOLVED KB3124266 update, multiple install failures since 13th January

Reaction score
Other updates appear to install ok. Ran the Windows Update troubleshooter and it found the problem :-
"Service registration is missing or corrupt Not Fixed", whatever that means.

Anyone know the answer to this problem as PC seems to get into a sort of loop of "Getting Windows ready, updating, couldn't complete updates, undoing changes". After one of these restarts it takes a good 10 minutes before PC can be used.
As I said other updates seem to be installing OK.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Based on information I could find and my own personal experience with the most recent Windows 10 cumulative update it looks to me like you might be running build 10240 rather than 10586 (which was the big November update).
Check you version by right clicking start button and choosing run and typing winver
you should see something like this

Capture.JPG

The way I understand it
Cumulative update KB3124266 is for 10240, while
Cumulative update KB3124263 is for 10586.

Reaction score
Yes my version is 10.0 (Build is 10240), Windows 10 home. I upgraded from Windows 7 at the beginning of this month after holding off from upgrading till the dust settled. I just thought I'd be getting the latest version of 10.
So by holding off I've accidently installed an older version. Is there anyway round this problem as I would have thought Windows would have updated automatically to the latest version as it would have known I was running an older version? Or perhaps it's not as smart as I thought it was.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
What was the source of your upgrade.
The latest version 1511 of Windows 10 (Build 10586) has been available for quite a while now.
I'm wondering if you used an ISO that you had downloaded earlier or perhaps had been downloaded earlier by the upgrade tool, before the most recent ISO was posted.
I remember reading that you would not be offered the 10586 build as an upgrade until after 30 days had passed with 10240 installed, thus giving you the opportunity to return to your earlier version of Windows.
After the upgrade to 10586 you will only be able to Go Back To..... and earlier build of Windows 10 and not to an earlier version of Windows ( 7 or 8.1).
My recommendation is to wait until you are absolutely positive that you never want to return to your earlier version of Windows or....
Until the 30 days expire (at which point you will no longer have the option).
You should then be able to get the 10586 build as an automatic update.
If you should choose not to wait, it is available from Microsoft here.....
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
AND I believe, here as well......
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info Trouble.
I initially downloaded via the upgrade tool last August but held off from actually doing the upgrade despite the prompts from Windows. Then the prompts disappeared . When I finally decided to upgrade I just assumed I'd be getting the latest version available especially as it appeared to download more files before actually doing the upgrade.

Does this mean anyone who decides to download the upgrade today would get the 10240 build so they would have the option of going back to win 7/8?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Does this mean anyone who decides to download the upgrade today would get the 10240 build so they would have the option of going back to win 7/8?
I'm not sure that there is still a source out there for the 10240 build anymore, and.....
I hope, although I am not absolutely positive, that if you upgrade from a previous version of Windows, to Windows 10 no matter which build number, I think you would still have the 30 days to "Go Back To" whichever version you upgraded from (7 or 8)

Reaction score
Thanks again, I'll probably stick with Windows 10 now and wait for the 10586 automatic upgrade after the 30 day trial expires.

Ask a Question