KB3189866 installed Sep 19/16

Reaction score
This update was just installed, I open up my edge and the fav are empty, I have been using edge for awhile, have imported my IE fav, but all my new fav that I have saved to edge are gone,

Can this list still be located on the hard drive?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Gord,

Welcome to the Forum.

The Favorites for Microsoft Edge are saved into a file named spartan.edb which can be found via File Explorer by copy & pasting the following into File Explorer's address bar then press Enter key

Code:
%LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\DataStore\Data\nouser1\120712-0049\DBStore\

The icons for each favorite stored can be found by copy & pasting the following into File Explorer's address bar then pressing Enter key

Code:
%LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\DataStore\Data\nouser1\120712-0049\Favorites\

In your case it appears your spartan.edb file may all ready be corrupted so recovering favorites at this point may only be possible by using a restore point dating prior to the upgrade.

For the future you are best to make a copy of spartan.edb and save elsewhere so in the event corruption occurs you can copy it back to the folder location overwriting the corrupted one.

If the icons are corrupted and/or missing, once again keeping a copy elsewhere as a backup is a good idea, however, all you need to do is open a favorite link and that favorites icon will be regenerated.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
I guess one would have to ask why MS in their wisdom didn't just save the favorites/bookmarks in a simple text file accessible easily and with a sensible name...like EdgeBookmarks.XML or something like that.

Too clever for their own good.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Yes the new edb format is a real pain.

What I do is import Edge Favorites to IE every now an then, then if needed import them from IE back to Edge rather than save the edb file.

Then just open favorites in Edge and reorganize sub-folders and order of favorites etc

Reaction score
Thanks Regedit, I am not a very well computer literate, I do struggle along, as your post took me several tries to fully understand what to do, but I did get the address posted. From this I continued until I found a fav folder under user folder

C:\Users\Gord\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\Favorites

Here was a list of all my favorites - now how do I get this list back into edge?

NOTE:

I could not locate any file named: "Spartan.edb",

Reaction score
I wonder if the bookmarks would have been deleted if the had been related to Bing, MS Store, MS Help.... I didn't think anyone used Edge LOL

Reaction score
I use Edge as my main browser, with IE as a backup. From my pov, the lighter, the better. If I need more facilities at the time, IE is waiting in the wings.

Ask a Question