SOLVED KB4025342 Win10 Ver 1703_15063 upgrade problem

Reaction score
I'm trying to upgrade to Win 10 1703_10563 using the stand alone installer but I get a error message that says "this update is not applicable to your computer". I'm running Win 10 1607-14393 64 bit. I've checked everything I know how. Ran FSC, DISM, reset updater, everything looks clean.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That KB4025342, I believe is specific for 1703. IF you are running 1607 then one might assume that the error you are receiving is accurate
this update is not applicable to your computer
You should probably download the ISO from here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
When finished, simply double click the ISO that you've saved to your computer and run setup.exe from there to perform the in-place upgrade from 1607 to 1703

Reaction score
I've not been able to install 1703 either. I've tried both the Update Assistant and ISO methods. MANY times. Neither work for me.

Once the install gets to about 75%, it reboots, then BSOD. The error message I get always has something to do with MIGRATE_DATA.

And no, I'd REALLY prefer to NOT do a clean install!

Reaction score
Reaction score
Reaction score
Your advice solved my problem. I was able to upgrade to Version 1703. I still don't understand why the KB4025342 .msu file download did not do the upgrade. Regardless I appreciate the help.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Glad it worked for you.
There is a difference between an "Upgrade" and an "Update"
KB4025342
Is a Cumulative "Update" intended to be applied to Windows 10 Version 1703 and is not intended to "update" any previous versions.
The ISO for 1703 that you used to "upgrade" your previous version of Windows 10 to its' current state is just that...... an "Upgrade" that takes you from a previous version and "upgrades" your Operating System to the next version.

It's not really a vivid distinction but something I use by way of an explanation as to how to think about the differences and how you might distinguish one from the other.
Typically the words Upgrade and Update are used interchangeably, but....
I choose to make a distinction in my mind to separate the two processes as in
While I suppose you might say that you "Updated" from Windows XP to Vista or from Vista to Windows 7, what you really did was "Upgrade" the entire Operating System from something old to something new, so in my mind I choose to say that I "Upgraded" from Windows Vista to Windows 7, which I believe to be more accurate.

With Windows 10 no longer changing its' "core" name the distinction (if there actually is one) is blurred and Microsoft isn't helping by naming their versions as an "Update" at the end of the name, when in fact you are "Upgrading" the Operating System, just like when you "upgraded" from Vista to 7

Insisting on using the term "Update" associated with monthly (sometimes bi-monthly) "Cumulative Updates" and what seems to be their current strategy to bi-annually offer a new version of Windows 10 and also including the word "update" in the name of the process is not really helping to explain that the two are different and not really the same.

I'm sure that Microsoft would love for everyone to think that, an "Update" is an "Update" is an "Update" and everything is fine and there is nothing or no one behind the curtain, there not.....
As some are finding out, their systems may not be eligible for the soon to arrive Fall Creators "Update", because......
It's not. It's an "Upgrade" from an old Operating System, to a new Operating System and as a consequence, without special attention from manufacturers some stuff is just not gonna work.

Last edited:

Ask a Question