KB4034674

Reaction score
This update failed to install 5 times on one of my computers Any suggestions and advice for getting it installed would be appreciated.

The computer is HP Envy x360 running Windows 10 ver 1703 build 15063,483.

Thank you.

Reaction score
is this the only update that tries to install??
from my experience another update, Windows Defender, can interfere with this update (or updates in general).
My procedure is as follows: Update WD first then let WU (windows update) search for the rest and install or you can download the update manually from the catalog:
http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4034674

and install manually...

Reaction score
This is the only update trying to install. No other update has ever failed to install. I have never installed one manually but I will go to the catalog you cited and see if it is something I can do. Thank you.

Reaction score
Through the catalog I was successful in downloading and installing something called Security Update for Windows 10 - KB4034674. This does not appear to be the entire update or cumulative update. Am I still missing something?

Reaction score
ottiliegirl I just got the same update Aug. 19.
2017-08 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4034674)

Reaction score
It should have been succesful. As with Norton, I got it through the normal updates a couple of weeks ago.

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
Thanks for those replies but neither one addresses my situation. My cumulative update for windows 10 version 1703 for 64x based systems (KB4034674) failed to install 8 times now. It looks like by going to the catalog I was able to download part of it called Security update for 64x based systems (KB4034674). So my question is still whether or not I got everything I should have or am I still missing part of that update?

By yhe way davehc, did you mean installed on 8/9/2017 because 9/8/17 hasn't come yet?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It looks like by going to the catalog I was able to download part of it called Security update for 64x based systems (KB4034674). So my question is still whether or not I got everything I should have or am I still missing part of that update?
IF by doing so you downloaded the correct update for your system architecture (32 versus 64 bit), AND
You avoided downloading the "Delta Update" and instead downloaded the full package update without the "Delta" designation.

Reaction score
There were 4 choices - 2 were Delta related and the other choice was between 86 based systems and 64 based systems. I downloaded the 64 based one. Now if I got everything the upgrade had to offer will Microsoft still continue to attempt to install the failed update?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Both the Delta package as well as the Full package offer 32 and 64 bit versions.
IF you downloaded the Full package (not delta) appropriate for your system architecture, then you should be able to run the standalone installer and install it successfully.

IF not then then you might want to try running the Windows 10 Update troubleshooter https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027322/windows-windows-update-troubleshooter
And run that and see if you can then run the standalone installer successfully.

Failing that you might try this script to reset the Windows Update components https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Reset-Windows-Update-Agent-d824badc
After rebooting see if you can then run the standalone installer successfully.

Failing all of the above and to prevent Windows Update continuing failed attempts to install the problem update you might try the ShowHide utility
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...t-a-driver-update-from-reinstalling-in-window
To "hide" the update and get a 30 day reprieve and see if you have any better luck with next months update.

Reaction score
Thanks for those replies but neither one addresses my situation. My cumulative update for windows 10 version 1703 for 64x based systems (KB4034674) failed to install 8 times now. It looks like by going to the catalog I was able to download part of it called Security update for 64x based systems (KB4034674). So my question is still whether or not I got everything I should have or am I still missing part of that update?

By yhe way davehc, did you mean installed on 8/9/2017 because 9/8/17 hasn't come yet?

this is what you should have seen in the catalog:

2017-08-22_182747.jpg

Download the appropriate version for your system and install it as Trouble suggests.
BTW, davehc's date is correct as in Europe they have a different time/date like dd/mm/yyyy while in US they have mm/dd/yyyy ....

Reaction score
Not international, but, at least to me. more logical - Progressive - day month year

Reaction score
Dave It makes sense to me too. That's how I was brought up and educated in the UK dd/mm/yyyy However, I can see why there's confusion.

Ask a Question