Key Recovery

Reaction score
I downloaded the ProduKey utility and it produced a Windows OS key but it was not the key which appears on the original Windows 10 Home retail package. Is this still a valid key?

Last edited by a moderator:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Good question have you checked your "Activation" to determine how it says you are activated?
Start Button -> Settings -> Update & Security -> Activation

Activation.PNG

And compared it to what you know or suspect is true?
And I'm wondering if the big 10586 November update, which was practically the equivalent of a new install of the OS (upgrade) might have impacted the product key you are seeing or if ProduKey simply is not finding the correct key.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/activation-in-windows-10

Reaction score
I have the same as you Dan99. I guess everything is fine since I haven't had any issues, When I run winver I get Version 10 (Build 10240). Don't know if I have a problem with the product key and don't know if my version is the latest or not.

Reaction score
No you do not have the latest version but it is going to be there soon and can cause problems when loading but that can be sorted. The latest version is 1511 build 10586.36 which means you have two major downloads coming up.

wwee.PNG

Reaction score
I just moved to another Windows 10 I have which is the latest build and the Activation area mentioned above in Update and Security does not show "Windows 10 on this device is activated with a digital entitlement". I suppose because it is the Home version rather than the Pro version as Trouble has. Further; it lists the product ID and the product key but shows only the last four digits. I am not submitting a snip because that is private.

However; I ran ProduKey and it does produce the key which is on my OS software. So if you wish to locate a lost key this may be the way to do it.

Reaction score
Doesn't sound promising for a problem free update. Oh well, nothing I can do about it except fix what ever problems come up. Thank you Dan99 for your help.

Reaction score
I just moved to another Windows 10 I have which is the latest build and the Activation area mentioned above in Update and Security does not show "Windows 10 on this device is activated with a digital entitlement". I suppose because it is the Home version rather than the Pro version as Trouble has. Further; it lists the product ID and the product key but shows only the last four digits. I am not submitting a snip because that is private.

However; I ran ProduKey and it does produce the key which is on my OS software. So if you wish to locate a lost key this may be the way to do it.
I would think the exact verbiage regarding your activation might depend on whether you have a Windows 10 License or were upgraded from a prior Windows version. Having the Digital slot confirmation should verify you can install Windows 10 cleanly on that machine without the need for a License Key.

You seem to be having several problems otherwise, do you attribute those to the latest upgrade?

When you pull the key using some utility, there may be more than one. Different utilities may show you one but not the other. Since I have not used the process, I cannot be specific.

Reaction score

Ask a Question