SOLVED Keyboard cleaning

Reaction score
This isn't really a Win10 question, but what is the best way to clean a messy laptop keyboard. I have some Endust spray that says it cleans keyboards, but I wanted some advice before using anything.

Reaction score
Don't think that will work for me. My keyboard is sticky, not dusty. Plus it's outside of my budget.

Reaction score
I use a patent cleaner, bought from any IT shop, together with a soft cloth and help with a toothbrush to get beside the keys. Regular maintenance once a month - for many months -- no harm done yet.

Reaction score
With a PC keyboard, I would take it apart and clean it piece by piece. Laptop keyboards will likely break if attempted to take them apart. If I did attempt cleaning sticky keys on a laptop keyboard. I would only attempt with the ones that were sticking.

If cleaning is unsuccessful. You could buy a new/used keyboard. Some will popout with out needing to open the laptop.

Reaction score
I use a patent cleaner, bought from any IT shop, together with a soft cloth and help with a toothbrush to get beside the keys. Regular maintenance once a month - for many months -- no harm done yet.
Useful idea, any particular brand that you prefer?

Reaction score
With a PC keyboard, I would take it apart and clean it piece by piece. Laptop keyboards will likely break if attempted to take them apart. If I did attempt cleaning sticky keys on a laptop keyboard. I would only attempt with the ones that were sticking.

If cleaning is unsuccessful. You could buy a new/used keyboard. Some will popout with out needing to open the laptop.
The keys are sticking, the top of the keyboard is just tacky. This laptop is all one piece. The keyboard can't be removed.

Reaction score
I believe that does the opposite: It is designed to attract dust (to a cleáning cloth) It will probably remove dust but the residue will attract it back

Reaction score
I'll see what Walmart has next time I go out there. If they don't have something, Best Buy should.

Reaction score
You could try using soap and water. Use just what the brush will hold, don't saturate the keyboard. And when finished, give it time to dry before turning the machine on. If you are lucky you can get it clean without needing to disassemble.

Reaction score
You could try using soap and water. Use just what the brush will hold, don't saturate the keyboard. And when finished, give it time to dry before turning the machine on. If you are lucky you can get it clean without needing to disassemble.
Worth a try, but no way to disassemble it. It's all one sealed unit.

Reaction score
I would hesitate to use anything with water.
I would hesitate as well. If you want to pour water all over your device. I was suggesting only using enough water to dampen a scrubber.

Besides it is not water that damages your electronics. It is the extras that are in water. If using pure water, you could submerge the entire machine without harm.

Reaction score
I would hesitate as well. If you want to pour water all over your device. I was suggesting only using enough water to dampen a scrubber.

Besides it is not water that damages your electronics. It is the extras that are in water. If using pure water, you could submerge the entire machine without harm.
Useful information. I'm thinking maybe just using a wet toothbrush.

Reaction score
Try both. I think the cleaner, which has spirit, might perhaps dissolve the accumulated goo. I use it for my laptops amd they all look like new. No denying soap and water is a heck of a lot cheaper

Reaction score
Okay, just did the plain water and toothbrush cleaning. The whole laptop looks and feels much cleaner. Obviously, no harm was done since I'm posting this on the laptop. It hadn't been cleaned in nearly two years, so there was a lot of scrubbing required. I'll be cleaning it far more often now. Thanks to everyone for your help. And my laptop Samantha thanks you as well. Yes, I have names for all of my computers.

Reaction score
Congrats. And to Chris for a cheaper method. I'll stick to what I am accustomed to, but good tip for future reference.

Reaction score
This isn't really a Win10 question, but what is the best way to clean a messy laptop keyboard. I have some Endust spray that says it cleans keyboards, but I wanted some advice before using anything.
I have used methylated spirits, and old, clean, tin tray and a small 1cm paintbrush. Give it all time to dry out by evaporation or a hair dryer.. It's probably best to do it outside and disconnected!

Ask a Question