Lagging, when opening website

Reaction score
I have updated my ThinkPad Helix (1. gen) to Windows 10 as soon as possible, went well, no hassle except to find some drivers, but got them in a matter of days. Anyway, I didn't experience the improvement of performance, I expected, so I went for a clean install. Also because I couldn't get Office365 activated - a glitch, I read about several places, none with other solution than clean install of Windows. And I prefer a clean, virgin, fast and clutterfree installation - until I clutter it again ;-)

Installation went well, took a little over two hours (with cleaning of SDD), chose to keep no files (but had to start over again, because I wasn't satisfied with the folder structure and user names). But now, up and running again, I'm experiencing lags and holds, when primarily, opening at website with Flash or other things going on, like video or a chat window. The cursor reacts with seconds delay, hardly to control, have to use my fingers to close the browser again. And it's the same, regardless using Firefox, Chrome (this is worst), Edge or IE. Very annoying!

Closing the window or tab with the problematic page, the computer responds quickly as i would expect it to...

Tried to disable the native flash-player in Chrome, didn't help. Went from Chrome Canary back to regular Chrome, didn't help.

Also I had CPU or GPU (onboard) suspected, but installed all relevant Intel management software, got Lenovo System Update and got system specific software and drivers, but left out the bloatware.

I can vaguely remember same problems, when I went from W 8 to 8.1, but can't remember the problem and the solution. I think, I did a reset, but not sure.

Any suggestions? Another clean install? Took me hours, so would like to avoid this...

Reaction score
Just did another clean install, got Firefox (Edge is useless), activated sync, installed and activated it, got Lenovo System Update, got drivers for the system, opened Skype, opened youtube on Firefox and the system slowed down again, almost to a hold. Moving the cursor (be it with mouse, trackpoint og trackpad), it keeps moving around for several seconds after, of course completely useless. Only way to get out is patience or close Firefox (or the youtube tab) on the screen.
I haven't active installed Flash yet. And no Chrome, so it's obviously not the native Chorme Flash player, as suggsted other places.
Anyone???

Reaction score
Now, I have installed Chrome Canary - opened outlook.com and the outlook calendar on two tabs. Lagging as hell. Tried the same with Firefox: almost no lag at all...
I have installed Adobe Flash, but not removed/deactivated the native Flash player en Chrome Canary, I'll try that next.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Good trouble shooting so far.
Since your issue seems, in most instances to involve the "internet", are you sure you have the latest drivers installed for your network adapter?
Also try Googling around for something regarding "Hardware Acceleration" disable / enable / use software acceleration if hardware acceleration is not available.
Something way back in my memory seems to suggest something about that.
Thanks for keeping us updated on your progress thus far.

Reaction score
Also try Googling around for something regarding "Hardware Acceleration" disable / enable / use software acceleration if hardware acceleration is not available.
Something way back in my memory seems to suggest something about that.
I did that and found this. Graphics Acceleration is in Internet options.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2528233

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Cool although I was thinking that there may be a more global setting somewhere, especially since this particular device is apparently a tablet or all in one or some hybrid like device.
But since his problems seem to be internet related, perhaps the browser setting is all he needs. Wondering if other browsers have something similar?

Reaction score
Cool although I was thinking that there may be a more global setting somewhere, especially since this particular device is apparently a tablet or all in one or some hybrid like device.
But since his problems seem to be internet related, perhaps the browser setting is all he needs. Wondering if other browsers have something similar?
Thats over my head. I just thought I would lend a hand with the research.

Reaction score
First of all thanks for your interest and input.

Maybe I should clarify some things, so we're at the same starting point. The machine is a Lenovo Thinkpad Helix 3XXX (type 36986CG), a hybrid with detachable keyboarddock. An year and a half or two years old.

The whole thing started when I updated Office2013 to 2016 (as part of my Office365 subscription), but I couldn't get it activated. Several others, having the same problem, I tried lots of suggestions, with no luck. Only permanent solution was to make a clean install of Windows. Went for that, got the installation files, created a bootable thumbdrive, but couldn't get the machine started from it. Had those problems before, as I went for a preview of W10, but had to give up. Tried everything, BIOS, EFI, advanced start options in Windows, nothing worked.

So I went for the reset option in Windows, asked it to clean the drive and reinstall Windows. After this I couldn't revert to Win 8.1, so this is no option. Cleaning and install took a little over two hours, no problems found (no errors), but wasn't satisfied with the folder structure, as I installed with a Microsoft account this time, and my backup in Filehistory had the old username filestructure. Had some hassle to access the file history, but managed at last. I noticed the laggign began there, but hoped I could cure it with driver downloads from Lenovo, first with System Update, after that getting patches and drivers from the Lenovo Driver Matrix (for this machine). Installed Office, got it activated (!), so job done, I assumed. The lagging got worse, and as I said, I wasn't satisfied with the folder structure, so I went for another clean install (reset).

Installed fine again (from the Windows reset option in settings), just used Edge to download FF and Chrome Canary (have tried the regular Chrome, no difference), Kaspersky Internet Secutity 2016. Installed Thinkvantage System Update, got the recommended drivers at patches, installed them (only one that didn't install was NFC-driver). Again, opening websites, no problem at all in FF, Chrome makes the computer to work harder, but manageable. Had both FF and Chrome open, with 4 or 5 tabs each, still no major problems, Went on to youtube again, and the lagging started mediately, already on the recommendations page, with thumbnails, but no videos. Cursor has 5 seconds lag to mouse or trackpoint movement. Only way to close the tab is to use finger touch, the cursor is useless, as impossible to steer to where I want it.

I had the Task Manager open, on the Processes tab, no extensive CPU usage, FF running in one instance with about 300MB memory usage, but Chrome was running in several instances (just counted 15!), starting with 220 MB, and dropping values as I go down the list, but all put together about 700MB right now, with 3 tabs open. Is this normal? Youtube on FF alone is still lagging, but not that much as Chrome alone with youtube.

Curiously, when I brought the Task Manager to front, the lagging stopped immediately, despite the video played on! Bringing the borwser to front again (still with finger touch in screen), the lagging starts again. After closing the tab with video, the lagging stops after a few seconds.

I haven't tried with some other video, as I haven't got my files restored yet. And this is another problem, I cant get access to the Filehistory files on my external drive (USB HDD), had severe problems yesterday, bur managed, now the files simply don't show up in the filehistory app. Really annoying!

RecumbentTim, I tried your solution, (had to restart the computer, after it sat on standby during the night, because I couldn't open the control panel by right clicking the start button), opened both FF and Chrome, and no lag - until I opened a youtube video, there it was again.

I searched tons of places, haven't seen symptoms like this, there are some regarding flickering of screen (got some minor problems there, removed the GPU driver in safe mode and updated it again. To the same driver. Didn't help.

As I see it, there must be a glitch in processor management (the amount of memory, assigned to graphics or CPU functions, as the GPU is onboard without dedicated memory (Intel HD Graphics-4000). There's one unknown unit, this is Intel Smart Connect, don't use it, don't need it. Installed it the last time, didn't do any difference.

I've taken a screenshot of the Task Manager (without any videos running). Maybe it helps, because I don't like the massive usage of memory and the number of instances of Chrome running... BTW, I tried with both regular Chrome and Canary (beta).
Skærmbillede 2015-10-31 10.46.01.png

The Task Manager Window continues further down, with more Chrome instances, but way less memory usage. The columns are sorted after memory usage

Reaction score
Next experiment: Got Intel Management And Security Status and Intel Control Centre from Lenovo Drivers and Software Download for the Helix model no. 3XXX. Installed Intel Chipset Support, Intel Management Engine Firmware and Management Engine Interface. Didn't solve anything. As expected.

Then I disabled hardware acceleration in both FF and Chrome Canary (and before, as RecumbentTim suggested in Internet settings), but without any significant change. FF runs fine without video content, Chrome lags some times, while loading a page. Just opened youtube in FF, overview page opened without problems, starting a video, the first seconds are ok, but then the cursor started lagging heavily again far beyond a point, where it is possible to place the cursor on top of a close button, it becomes a time-consuming challenge. I thank for the touch screen!

BTW: When I say "instance" in the first posts, i meant Processes!

Reaction score
Update: Opened a mp3 from the hard drive with the native W10 player Groove Music, lagging started again a few seconds after and continued for seconds after having closed the player.
Opened Tidal (former Wimp) streaming site, played a song from there, lagging again.
Installed Lenovo Solution Center, ran complete and comprehensive tests, with positive results all over. So no hardware-problem. I could attach the log file from the tests, but they are in the system language, danish, and wouldn't do you any good
Now, I'm thinking about to get to the Lenovo recovery in the BIOS, there's a Lenovo Recovery partition of about 15 Gigs, maybe there´s Windows 8. So I could upgrade from there.
I have to admit, I've grown fond of W10, compared to 8/8.1, so I would like to end up with a reliable machine running Windows 10 Pro AND being able to play music and video, and to show more than just plain text based websites.

Ask a Question