Mouse Freezes - as well as other lagging

Reaction score
Been using W10 Ent 64 for about a year now. It's always had the mouse stuttering performance issues, but lately it seems to have gotten worse. Previously I only noticed the mouse stutter every minute or so. It was irritating, but I could "just-about" live with it. I did try all sorts of fixes (see below) but since none of them worked, I just gave it up as a bad case of W10 problems. Only now the sticking happens on a near second basis. This has now simply become a case of unusable mouse, I could rather just use the laptop as a paper weight and do my work by hand - it would be faster.

Machine specs: MSI GP72 6QF, i7-6700HQ, 32GB DDR4, 512GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 17.3" FHD, GTX 960M, BT4.0, AC WiFi, Steel series white backlit keys, MSI Gaming mouse came with the package. Used mainly for 3d BIM modelling in Revit.

I've tried all the usual suggestions:
  • Update drives / revert to older ones. This is a MSI Gaming Mouse on USB on a MSI Laptop, the driver is simply HDI Compliant - no-name brand. The driver Windows "recommends" is a 2008 version of that. All drivers are as up to date as they can be, both from the auto-update Windows service as well as looking on the manufacturer's site.
  • Used a different mouse "Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse v2.0" - which works perfectly fine on my desktop (W8.1), but gives the exact same issues on the W10 laptop.
  • Set the driver process to compatibility mode W7 ... cannot find anything looking like a mouse driver in task manager's details page
  • Disable Realtek Audio and/or rename the FFAPP.exe file. Doesn't help but does have the added "bonus" of making my sound go away.
  • Cortana is completely turned off and disabled.
  • LAN is disabled (only working on WiFi). Even tried disabling WiFi and BT as well, still no help.
  • Adjusted the touch-pad activation time to 0, doesn't help an iota.
  • Turn off pointer acceleration, doesn't help
  • Turn off "hide pointer while typing", doesn't help
  • Unplug and re-insert mouse, helps for about a minute, then it sticks again.
  • Use a different port, same issues on all 4 USB ports on this machine (mouse directly plugged in, no hub or anything else plugged in, still same issue).
  • Reboot, same temporary fix for about a minute.
  • Disable every possible background process - even uninstalled as much as I can. Doesn't help.
  • Re-installed W10 from scratch (re-partitioning the system SSD drive to completely wipe everything) from a newly created USB stick. Still gives this issue even before I start changing anything or installing new programs.
Anyone have any other ideas to try and fix this issue?

Otherwise: It seems as if this guy's on to something though: https://randomascii.wordpress.com/2017/07/09/24-core-cpu-and-i-cant-move-my-mouse/

I "really" hope MS fixes this problem. In the meantime I cannot see any way for me to keep using W10. I'll have to revert back to a W7 or W8.1 license.

Reaction score
You certainly have done your homework!!
But, the last item is the troublesome clincher. I would have that Windows 10 was not creating the problem. But...?
This does not seem to be something reported a lot, with Windows 10. Any reports generally seem to relate to third party software, which you have not installed.
Have a look in the Task manager and see if you can identify something, which could be slowing down hardware by consuming cpu and memory use. You could also try disabling any items under the Startup tab, to see if there is any improvement. There are "Third party" items there which are installed by default.

Reaction score
HI irneb,

what version of W10 do you have installed and have you also done a full system upgrade?:

https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/how-to-upgrade-windows-10-to-the-latest-version.13015/ :)
The current one:
  • Windows 10 Enterprise
  • Version 1607
  • OS Build 14393.1480
Not sure what it was before I did the fresh new install.

Perhaps I should "try" something like Home/Pro, since their versions are higher up the food chain. Though this is licensed through the company ATM. This would mean I'll have to buy a personal lic. And I'm unsure how our co. policies are going to work if I try to VPN into their network from something they didn't license.

Reaction score
You certainly have done your homework!!
But, the last item is the troublesome clincher. I would have that Windows 10 was not creating the problem. But...?
This does not seem to be something reported a lot, with Windows 10. Any reports generally seem to relate to third party software, which you have not installed.
Have a look in the Task manager and see if you can identify something, which could be slowing down hardware by consuming cpu and memory use. You could also try disabling any items under the Startup tab, to see if there is any improvement. There are "Third party" items there which are installed by default.
Agreed, that does sound a bit special-case-only. It's just that I've been searching for weeks now to try and resolve this issue. This is actually my final ditch effort before I simply chuck W10 out the window.

As for the task manager showing something using resources. CPU usage is at 0.1% ... and that is Task Manager itself. Everything else is at 0%. Still moving the mouse sticks every second or so.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Was just reading this https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=278721.0 on the MSI Forum.
Very nice laptop, not sure I would have your patience with respect to the efforts you've made to resolve the issue.

Is it possible that the USB wired mouse and the laptop touchpad are at odds? Have you tried
Disabling the trackpad in device manager and just using the mouse alone?
Does the system exhibit the same symptoms when using only the trackpad with no mouse present?

Reaction score
The current one:
  • Windows 10 Enterprise
  • Version 1607
  • OS Build 14393.1480
Not sure what it was before I did the fresh new install.

Perhaps I should "try" something like Home/Pro, since their versions are higher up the food chain. Though this is licensed through the company ATM. This would mean I'll have to buy a personal lic. And I'm unsure how our co. policies are going to work if I try to VPN into their network from something they didn't license.
You need to upgrade to 1703 which is the current version!. :)

Reaction score
I started having a similar issue lately with a Logitech wireless laser mouse. What solved it for me was going out and buying a $2 mouse pad. I tried so many different things that just didn't work. Problem now solved.

Ask a Question