SOLVED Laptop needs a restart to make a Network connection

Reaction score
Hi there

I am having a problem with my network connection. I am running Windows 10 PRO and recently installed the April 2018 Update.
When I boot up my laptop, it doesn't make a network connection. I am using a wireless connection to my router.
I then have to RESTART and then a connection is made ok. If I switch to Wi-fi there isn't a problem.
I'm sure this problem only occurred after the update.

Any advice would be greatfully received

Martyn

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
If I switch to Wi-fi there isn't a problem.
That pretty much makes no sense, considering the rest of your post.
Turn of fast startup and see if the problem goes away.

Open an admin command prompt and type or copy and past the following
Code:
REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Power" /V HiberbootEnabled /T REG_dWORD /D 0 /F
OR
Here Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options
Left column "Choose what the power buttons do"
Click the link "Change settings that are currently unavailable"
Untick the box under "Shutdown settings" that says "Turn on fast startup (recommended).

Reaction score
thanks for the reply. You are quite correct it doesn't make sense. My apologies. What I mean't to say is "when I use a wired connection" meaning connecting to my router using a network cable.

However I have now unticked the "Turn on fast startup (recommended)" setting and it hasn't solved the problem.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sorry that didn't help.
Often when you find that a restart resolves an issue it is associated with how the computer hardware is handling fast startup, which only impacts a cold boot from a complete shutdown.

I'm at somewhat of a loss, as apparently you are using proper drivers for the hardware since the device works properly after a restart.
Can you advise as to whether or not you've waited for a prolonged period of time (5 or 10 minutes or so) to see if the device comes on-line at some point?
Can you advise as to whether or not going to device manager and simply disabling and then re-enabling the device resolves the issue?

Reaction score
This happens to me with my notebook and wireless, what I do is go to open network and internet Settings, then change adapter setting and just disable and re-enable wireless adapter much quicker than rebooting

Reaction score
Have yo tried running Windows native troubleshooter. Settings > Update and Security > Troubleshoot.

Ask a Question