Laptop not responding

Reaction score
I've just upgraded two HP Envy 700 PC series Desktop computers and a HP Pavilion dv6-6173cl laptop from windows 8.1 to windows 10. All computers are 64bit and connected wirelessly.

The two desktops are working OK.

The laptop appeared to be working OK first however after a screen timeout the laptop has stopped responding. At first I got the blue windows logo and a spinning circle but nothing happened for 10 minutes so I restarted the laptop. Now when I try to restart nothing happens. The screen is blank, the power light is on, I hear the fan running, the touch pad light is on. the wireless signal is orange and the caps light is flashing on an off. The DVD runs but is not responding.

The laptop was originally Windows 7 and I upgraded to Windows 8.1 and I have tried to reinstall windows 8.1 but the laptop is not reading the disk.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks Jessie.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IDK.... but probably the first place I would start would be.
Power down, unplug, remove battery, hold power button for 30 seconds.
Replace battery, plug back in, power up.

Reaction score
Thanks Noob Whisperer

I did as you suggested and Win 10 has loaded but very slowly. The loading kept stopping and starting the blue circle was spinning for about a minute at each stage of the reload.

Is this an indication that something is wrong with the Win 10 installation?

Jessie

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I suspect that it might be an indication that the computer is very busy and needs some time to get its' head around what was just done to it.
Give it an hour to catch up.
Check for Windows Updates
Check for Store Updates
Defrag / Optimize the C drive
See how it goes

Ask a Question