Laptop shutting down instead of sleeping

Reaction score
My laptop is an HP Pavilion x360
Ever since the fall windows creator update (10) when I put it to sleep it seems to shut down instead. Like, when I wake it back up, it acts as if it has been shut down or restarted, and all my work is gone. I've looked through the forms a little and couldn't seem to find any solution. If anyone knows anything about this I would appreciate any help I can get, as it is quite when all my work is lost.

Also I apologize if this is in the wrong place for whatever reason I'm new to this site and still figuring things out

Reaction score
Hi Tara,

I think your problem is "Lock screen" as oppossed to "Sleep" (not really sure?). Check your power options in Windows Settings > System > Power & Sleep. :) Sleep is in Personalization > Lock screen. ;)

power and sleep.JPG

Reaction score
Hey! Thank you for your suggestion! I have messed around with these settings previously, and while setting both those options to never stops my work from getting lost when I get up from the computer, ultimately sleep mode still seems to have some sort of issue. When put to sleep, I expect my session to be restored, as it used to before I updated.
I appreciate you taking some time to try and help me though! thank you!

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Since this is an HP laptop.....by default....whatever you're doing and close the lid the laptop goes into sleep mode automatically. Check to see what those settings are set to.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Previously some users found disabling hybernation mode resolved the issue of a laptop shutting down, rather than sleeping. You can give that a try to see if it helps by doing the following:
  • Press Windows key + S together to give focus to the search field
  • In the search field type command
  • In the search results locate and right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator
  • Click Yes when the User Account Control prompts you
  • In the Administrator: Command Prompt console type or copy & paste the following command:
Code:
powercfg -h off

Press Enter key to execute

Type exit and press Enter key to close the console​
  • Now restart your laptop, then open a file and test sleep mode to see whether upon awakening the opened file remains open.

Reaction score
Thank you for your suggestions! Unfortunately that did not solve the issue either.

Ask a Question