Laptop takes ages to get to start screen saver.

Reaction score
Lenovo yoga 11s laptop ,power on , black screen for minutes often hours before it decides to display screen saver login screen to Windows 10. Just reinstalled Windows 10 on the SSD but no difference, takes forever. Been trying to hit an "function key" to get into the BIOS to try and see if something is wrong but unable so far. Once started laptop is good, put into sleep, it has no problem waking from that mode.

Reaction score
I would, when it is running, go to task manager - startup and start disabling things. Or list your startup and put it on the forum. Others here may have better ideas than I do.
Any antivirus you have ( Windows Defender will take over and that is not a problem). Any Windows indexing (which may be elsewhere in file explorer) Cortana, Icloud stuff of any, itunes stuff if any.

Perhaps download Malwarebytes free version and do a deep scan just in case there are any nasties lurking in there.

Reaction score
Mines a Lenovo idea pad 330 and there's only two things in start up and it's slow since I've had it. Not hours though.

Reaction score
On the startup screen , not much there, but disabled almost everything, but no better. Got into BIOS and saw it matched exactly another Yoga 11S that I have. MBR : I used bootrec /fixboot, bootrec /rebuildbcd but still no better.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Are you trying with the Microsoft screensavers (especially Bubbles) or third party?
There’s problems with Bubbles showing a black screen. Also MS screensavers seem to be deprecated.
How many minutes are set before the screensaver is supposed to turn on?

Reaction score
I'll check that the i5's are exactly the same. Not sure where to get the BIOS from and a bit nervous of flashing because I hear many cases of "bricked".
Another curious symptom: , while in the black screen/ taking ages, it gives a single beep when I plugin or unplug the adapter? Could it be a BIOS code? Other Yoga never makes a sound when doing same.

Reaction score
No changes made in BIOS at all.
I've now swapped the RAM and SSD,s between the machines. Each has correctly recognized the change of RAM size and change of SSD capacity so it doesn't seem to be that. I'm beginning to think the only thing left is the MB, and something to do with variable warm up time?

Reaction score
Run system file checker (SFC) and see if it helps. Please follow these steps:

a. Press Windows + X keys and click command prompt (admin).

b. Type the following command in command prompt and press Enter.

SFC/scan now

System file checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Reaction score
Run system file checker (SFC) and see if it helps. Please follow these steps:

a. Press Windows + X keys and click command prompt (admin).

b. Type the following command in command prompt and press Enter.

SFC/scan now

System file checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.
I ran the file checker and it gave "Windows Resource Protection found some corrupt files and successfully repaired them" The next day I ran it again : "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations". Laptop still takes forever to get to start up screensaver screen. (Usually hours!)
Beginning to loose hope and conclude it must be the MB. So I'll keep all the good components as spares.

Reaction score
I ran the file checker and it gave "Windows Resource Protection found some corrupt files and successfully repaired them" The next day I ran it again : "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations". Laptop still takes forever to get to start up screensaver screen. (Usually hours!)
Beginning to loose hope and conclude it must be the MB. So I'll keep all the good components as spares.
I am thinking of internally disconnecting the lcd screen and plugging in a HDMI monitor, starting it but wondering if the BIOS / POST will automatically revert to a different connected display monitor. I could then think it's a problem with the built in screen. It does have a few "bubbles" in one corner like some other I have seen on eBay, it has this one second freq click all while not starting.? Could it be "a warm up" thing?.

Reaction score
Another thought, how long has the CMOS battery been in the device?, it might help to replace that too!. :)

Ask a Question