LAPTOP WILL CONNECT IN ONE ROOM & NOT ANOTHER

Reaction score
My HP Laptop will connect in the room where the modem/router is, but will not connect in a room 20 feet away, when my husband can connect with no problem. This started 5 weeks ago, I have ran all the troubleshooting that I can find on the internet and through HP. Nothing.

Reaction score
I suggest that this is a problem in your house.
I would start the laptop in the 'good' room. Pick a site that is continually changing, like a long video on Youtube and carry the laptop slowly into the 'bad' room and see what happens. Could it be that the bad room has a lathe and plaster wall between it and the laptop? That can do it. Or metal heating ducts in a wall.

Is your laptop on a 5ghz wifi and husband on 2.4Ghz. We have this setup and one of our iPads works everywhere on 5Ghz but the other one does not.

Wifi signal strength is capricious and can be altered by all kinds of things. Running the microwave oven for instance.

Reaction score
Tim is on target here. 5GHz is faster, but it is definitely range limited and very susceptible to interference. 2.4GHz has a far greater range, and less likely to drop out, but it comes at a cost of slower performance. Look at your settings to see if it has automatic switching on your card, or if you can select which setting (5GHz or 2.4GHz) is your default. Consider relocating the WiFi antenna to a higher position in the house, a different position in the room, or more central to the two of you. You may see a huge improvement.

For me, my path between the router and over half of the rest of the house has my washer and dryer (and my HVAC ventilation system) in the way. The router has to be at least 5' off the ground to get any signal to those other rooms at 5GHz.

Ask a Question