Legacy program lost borders on 1903 update

Reaction score
We have a legacy program that is written in xbase. We have had no issues with the way it functions or displays all the way up to and including Win10 1809 release. We recently upgraded a few lab PC's to 1903 version and now the borders are displaying as characters instead of smooth lines. I verified that fonts aren't missing from the new release 1903. Something changed in the new version and we can't figure it out. If anyone encountered a similar problem, we would be grateful to know if any remedy exists. On the attached the top is 1809 release and prior. Botton is on the 1903 release.

Attachments

• DLSafter1903.png
    DLSafter1903.png
    31 KB · Views: 496
Reaction score
Don't know if I can help but sometimes seeing the actual HTML of the Web page will help, may see a coding issue. Could be a browser issue, my wife is seeing issues with the Pinterest site and her "outdated" browser, IE11.

Reaction score
Don't know if I can help but sometimes seeing the actual HTML of the Web page will help, may see a coding issue. Could be a browser issue, my wife is seeing issues with the Pinterest site and her "outdated" browser, IE11.
This is not a browser driven program. It is a local exe communicating back to a central db.

Reaction score
This is not a browser driven program. It is a local exe communicating back to a central db.
Generally in such cases it's up to the author/programmer of such software to update it for the latest OS/Operating System. That's a lot of why places like medical facilities, realtors/MLS, banks and others have issues with proprietary programs.

Reaction score
Generally in such cases it's up to the author/programmer of such software to update it for the latest OS/Operating System. That's a lot of why places like medical facilities, realtors/MLS, banks and others have issues with proprietary programs.
I understand. I've reached out the original developer to see if he can shed some light but he's not much of a Windows guy. Wish me luck.

Reaction score
I understand. I've reached out the original developer to see if he can shed some light but he's not much of a Windows guy. Wish me luck.
That's a problem. He writes code for software he's unfamiliar with. So what qualifies him to write the code, he took a class and didn't bother to keep up to date. Short cuts are the kiss of death.

Reaction score
Just a pure guess from my side, so I might be well off the solution :)

Maybe you lost a character set in the last win10 update, since the your example pic clearly shows the border line is replaced with a faulty character ... maybe you can dig into those characters and what code they have.

Well, just a guess ... problems like this can be a real pain in the ... ;-)

Reaction score
It is likely a problem with the change to a new "Console" mode. You can edit the defaults when you open a command prompt (CMD.exe).
Try disabling the new console features (Legacy mode) or changing the default font (try Lucida Console or Courier New).

Ask a Question