SOLVED What is the best pc driver update program avaliable?

Reaction score
iam looking into installing a driver update program. i want to stop updating them manually. it could be either free or even a paid option. do not suggest O&O software, i had an incident with them a year ago, long story.

Reaction score
I had a driver updater installed once (IObit I think). It was a disaster, constantly updating with outdated drivers although newer were available, screwed my system so bad and it became a real deterrent for me. I keep the slogan (and its still valid): Never change a running system (at least not the drivers). I have disabled driver updates per group policy (works only on Pro and others but not Home). on occasion I look for new drivers but with a 12 year old computer there is not much movement in that sector....

Reaction score
If everything works as it should, there's no reason to update drivers. Unless of course you game, then you want to keep your graphics driver up to date. I don't like driver utilities, and I've had Windows Update install the wrong drivers (which any utility can do). I'd just do it manually on an as needed basis.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm another believer in not using a driver update program. I very rarely update my drivers manually, Windows Update does a very good job on keeping on top of things. If you do a lot of gaming, it may be worth using the NVIDIA or AMD apps to auto-update your GPU drivers - but that's about it. I think it'll cause more problems using an app to keep all drivers up to date outside of Windows Update.

Reaction score
I agree with the two posts. In extreme circumstances, when you recognise a driver problem, in spite of Automatic updates, then it may be justified to do an independent search. Microsoft works wit the Driver guys, and they keep MS up to date with their latest, which is then passed on to the Windows users. No need for any third party offers.

Reaction score
Most if not all of those updater apps cause more problems than they solve. Do what everyone else suggests and download each package yourself and keep them all safe in a folder on a USB stick. :)

Reaction score
upon reading the replies, ive decided to not install driver update program and just update manually when if an update is needed

Reaction score
Last edited:

Ask a Question