SOLVED License Consumption

Reaction score
I have just upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10. I have long used (under Win 7) Microsoft Word (dated 2013). But when I click on it now (Win 10), it makes a very brief appearance, then disappears. In the event viewer I see the following error message:

"Unable to get detailed error information during license consumption. Last error 0xC004F015."

I suspect that this is in reference to a license check, but as I said, I have used MS Word for MANY years. Shouldn't the installation process recognize that MS Word has long been legally licensed?

Otherwise, if this is not the problem, then I am completely baffled and would welcome suggestions. Thanks

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
My guess would be the upgrade process. Usually when a major upgrade happens.....most if not all 3rd party software is removed and has to be reinstalled.

Reaction score
My guess would be the upgrade process. Usually when a major upgrade happens.....most if not all 3rd party software is removed and has to be reinstalled.
But I'm using many other 3rd party applications and none have been a problem. Also, Word does open briefly - it displays a list of options for opening - but then it simply disappears, quickly and silently. The only other indication of a problem is the error message which appears in the event viewer.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I would try a repair option or Office 2003 if that doesn't work then uninstall Office 2003 and then reinstall it. You will need the 25 character product key.

Reaction score
Unfortunately, that 25-character key has l o n g since disappeared. Also, how do I perform the repair option? It's also been a very long time since I've done any serious diagnosing or repairing.

Reaction score
Hi,

open Settings > Updates & Security > Troubleshoot > Additional troubleshooters and look for Word and try from there. :)

Reaction score
I'm beginning to believe that the answer is in the meaning of "License Consumption". I searched for that phrase and here is what I found [with parenthetical questions]:

"When we are talking about license consumption, we mean that the license entitlement has been taken [by whom???]
and is not available for another user [who is this 'another' user???]."

Which of these users is me? Note that I acquired and have been using this Office Suite for many, many years.

Reaction score
I'm beginning to believe that the answer is in the meaning of "License Consumption". I searched for that phrase and here is what I found [with parenthetical questions]:

"When we are talking about license consumption, we mean that the license entitlement has been taken [by whom???]
and is not available for another user [who is this 'another' user???]."

Which of these users is me? Note that I acquired and have been using this Office Suite for many, many years.
Yes, but with a major upgrade it might be lost I would try the repair/uninstall feature in the control panel/programs, and Feature s, you should have the option to repair. That might save you. Otherwise, you have to call in to activate and explain that you have upgraded the same computer so you are no a new user. Office 2013 works quite well for me on the latest version of Windows 10 Pro

Reaction score
Yes, but with a major upgrade it might be lost I would try the repair/uninstall feature in the control panel/programs, and Features, you should have the option to repair. That might save you. Otherwise, you have to call in to activate and explain that you have upgraded the same computer so you are not a new user. Office 2013 works quite well for me on the latest version of Windows 10 Pro

Reaction score
I will try what you suggest. Also, I will mark this thread as solved. One way or another, I will: (a) fix the current problem, (b)buy an inexpensive substitute, or (c)try a free substitute.

Thank all of you very much, and stay well.

Carroll S.

Reaction score
I will try what you suggest. Also, I will mark this thread as solved. One way or another, I will: (a) fix the current problem, (b)buy an inexpensive substitute, or (c)try a free substitute.

Thank all of you very much, and stay well.

Carroll S.
The suggestion from Clintlgm worked! MS Office, especially Word, works fine now Thank you, thank you Clintlgm.

Ask a Question