DISM throwing 0x80004005 error, apps not opening, W10 fresh license key fails

Reaction score
Hello everyone this is my first post! I appreciate your patience in delivering as much info as possible.

Windows 10 Enterprise Ver 1803 OS build 17134.1130

Here's the rundown of the issue, history, and what I've noticed.

I've recently acquired this PC from a workmate and used it for in excess of a year with zero issues. He suspects the Enterprise key he used for this version of Windows is either pirated or just grabbed from the internet, but worked at the time. There was a KMS program installed to prevent windows from checking against this key. I left the PC alone for 10 days while on holiday beginning Dec 11th 2019, and on coming home it I've got an 'activate windows' in the bottom right, and loads of strange issues going on. I suspect an Windows security update that had finally smacked-down on the KMS utility and barred it.

I was quick to remove the KMSpico utility after discovering it was used, and after attempting to do a check of outbound rules just in case in Advanced firewall, it wouldn't open. Got my legitimate key, went to open Settings, the 'activation' tab doesn't open when clicked. Sometimes settings doesn't open all together. Updates will be stuck on pending download. Sporadic behaviour.

Network and sharing center, System, Power options, even Acrobat 12. the list goes on- all Non openers.

Ran a sfc/ scannow, couldn't repair some files. Ran DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth, throws a 0x80004005 and wont start. When trying to run some Windows troubleshooters, same error code weirdly.

Sometimes when trying to Activate windows, or perform other menial tasks, I'll get nothing then after a minute or so, a Windows Script Host dialogue box with either a 0x80041032 or 0xC0020036 error 'running Windows non-core edition, run slui.exe etc.' It hit me after all this the Windows key I bought was for Pro, so that's another issue in the mix.

Tried the Windows 10 Update Assistant (as if that would actually solve things) which downloaded the update, but failed the install.
What's my situation like right now? What other checks can I perform to test integrity because something is definetely amiss! What can I proactively do next?

Regards
Richard

Reaction score
If a KMS program was used "stated KMSPico" which convert your normal Retail Install to VL so that the "pirate KMS program can Activate" which needs to be use every 180days. and KMS set a schedule to try and reactivate, so you need to disable the schedule, then REMOVE the Program - and Enterprise when you use a normal program to check the key all you get is xxxxx's. that is what Enterprise give you, if you have a Genuine Professional key - next if the Setting-Activation does not open that is due to your OS is corrupt, and you can still use youR Genuine key to Set and ask MS to Activate.....
Command prompt as Admin --> type slmgr -ipk your 25 digit key then enter
this replaces any key that was used If Enterprise is Installed and your key is for Professional MS will check the key and validate then if proper it will modify you Enterprise version to Professional..

Next your error codes are due to several corruptions of the current installed OS. which can be fix normally (at 99%) but doing this script once.... if SFC /scannow does not fix all they you might have to run as many as 3 to 5 times.... mostly I have only seen the need to run 3 times. I have developed a script you can run as a bat or cmd. I call it Repair Health - IT MUST BE RAN AS ADMIN.
dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
rmdir /s /q c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution.old

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

net stop cryptsvc
rmdir /s /q %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.bak

md %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.bak

xcopy %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.bak /s

net start cryptsvc

pause
exit

Reaction score
Snuffy, appreciate your advice! I created a .bat and ran the script, please see attached images for the output from the final run after doing it x3 times. Let me know your thoughts

Attachments

• cmd1.JPG
    cmd1.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 304
  • cmd2.JPG
    cmd2.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 294
Reaction score
Error 0x80004005 is translated as an unspecified error and is usually seen when the user cannot access Shared Folders, Drives, Virtual Machines and also when the Windows Updates fails to install. Troubleshooting this issue depends on where and how the error message is being originated from and since the error does not specifically tells you what the actual problem is, even in the Microsoft Books it is defined as “Unspecified Error“.

lots of corruption, and lets try this to FIX:
1. you need a Windows 10. iso
2. uncompress the iso in Windows Download folder
3. run setup this is suppose to be how to REPAIR the Corruption of the installed OS.
after this is ran it should ask for a Reboot... if not then reboot and then try running the script again.

Reaction score
Error 0x80004005 is translated as an unspecified error and is usually seen when the user cannot access Shared Folders, Drives, Virtual Machines and also when the Windows Updates fails to install. Troubleshooting this issue depends on where and how the error message is being originated from and since the error does not specifically tells you what the actual problem is, even in the Microsoft Books it is defined as “Unspecified Error“.

lots of corruption, and lets try this to FIX:
1. you need a Windows 10. iso
2. uncompress the iso in Windows Download folder
3. run setup this is suppose to be how to REPAIR the Corruption of the installed OS.
after this is ran it should ask for a Reboot... if not then reboot and then try running the script again.

Hi Snuffy thanks for the reply - will this method delete all 3rd-party applications installed?

Reaction score
Hi Snuffy thanks for the reply - will this method delete all 3rd-party applications installed?
No, it is the same as a upgrade, just like when MS does it using WU. it only repairs you OS. nothing else...

Ask a Question