SOLVED DISM Successful Scannow Fail

Reaction score
Hey, guys and gals

I have wonky behavior with Win10Pro (bootcamp install on iMac) because Mail, Calendar, and Edge sometimes are not opening, start button not functioning, taskbar right-click not working, etc. A simple log out and and log back in works for a short time. I have OSX installed on the other partition, and it works flawlessly. I was hoping to get Win10 stable enough to compete with OSX as my work environment. So far, no go.

I have run

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:E:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

with success.

But sfc /scannow comes back with

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not
supported in offline servicing scenarios.
PS C:\Windows\system32>

Can anyone advise what are my next steps?

Thanks!

Here is a copy from my CMD:

----------------------------------------------------------------
PS C:\Windows\system32> sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

PS C:\Windows\system32> dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.10586.0

Image Version: 10.0.10586.0

[==========================100.0%==========================]
No component store corruption detected.
The operation completed successfully.
PS C:\Windows\system32> dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth

No component store corruption detected.
PS C:\Windows\system32> DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:E:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

[==========================100.0%==========================]
The restore operation completed successfully.
PS C:\Windows\system32> sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

PS C:\Windows\system32>

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi redcloud111,

Occasionally you need to reboot computer, re-open the Elevated Command Prompt and re-run the SFC/ SCANNOW command so that repairs can be effected during the reboot of PC which then allow other repairs to be effected.

Something else you could do is organize the [SR] tags from your CBS.log then upload the file to the Forum so we can take a look and see if we can work out what is not being repaired.

To do that:
  • Right-click on Start
  • Left-click on Command Prompt (Admin)

This will open the Administrator: Command Prompt console to C:\WINDOWS\System32>

• At that prompt type or copy & paste the following command:

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >%homepath%\desktop\SFC_Details.txt

• Press Enter to execute the command above
  • Now type Exit | press Enter to close the Administrator: Command Prompt console
  • Next reply to this message, and click on the Upload a File button.
  • Navigate to your Desktop and select the SFC_Details.txt file you just created, then click Open button

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Regedit32

Thanks. Here's where I am. I rebooted and reran sfc /scannow. Same error.

I tried to generate the text file by opening CMD with administrative rights and copying:

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >%homepath%\desktop\SFC_Details.txt

CMD returned:

FINDSTR: Cannot open D
FINDSTR: Cannot open [My user name]\desktop\SFC.Details.txt

My user name in the brackets is my name, of course. I even tried to replace "[SR]" with with user name inside quotes. I navigated to Windows\logs\cbs.log to verify it is there. It is. I am using C: as my windows drive. What am I missing? Thanks!

Regedit32

Reaction score
even tried to replace "[SR]"

findstr /c: = Find a String on C-drive

"[SR]" = the String you are looking for (we're looking for this because apart from one other module the only thing to dump logs into CBS.log marked with [SR] is the System File Checker, and its those logs we want to read specifically, not thousands of other lines logs that have nothing at all to do with the System File Check

%homepath% = shorthand command to save typing C:\Users\< your user name that you log on with >

Note: As an alternate to %homepath% you could type %userprofile% to get same result:

So command could also be typed as:

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >%userprofile%\desktop\SFC_Details.txt

\Desktop
= Sub-Directory of < your user name you logged on with > called Desktop

Did you actually type findstr /c: ........ etcetera ... or did you type findstr /d: ................ etcetera ....

Assuming Windows is on the C-drive (i.e. C:\) the findstr must point to /c:, not /d:

Reaction score
My drive is C:

I did not type D:

I tried both, by copying the entire line into C:\Windows\system32>

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >%userprofile%\desktop\SFC_Details.txt

and

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >%homepath%\desktop\SFC_Details

I have no idea why it is saying it cannot open D. My path structure is Bootcamp C:\Windows\Logs\CBS and Bootcamp C:\Users\[My user name]\Desktop

Does the fact my user name has spaces matter?

Please advise. Thanks!

Regedit32

Reaction score
Spaces can cause issues:

You could surround the path in speech marks for example if your user name was Red Cloud:

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >"c:\users\red cloud\desktop\SFCDETAILS.txt"

You must ensure your spaces are correct too and that of course you are in an elevated command prompt.

Sample image to demonstrate:

FINDSTR example.png

The arrows point to the place where there is one space. No other spaces ought to be present.

Notice in the Title bar of Command prompt is says: Administrator: Command Prompt

The only other possibility is the CBS.log does not exist at the location being pointed to.
  • %windir% = C:\WINDOWS, thus the full path for the log in above example is:

C:\WINDOWS\Logs\CBS\CBS.log Have you verified this exists?

Reaction score
Hey, thanks. While I was waiting I went ahead and created a new windows user account. I still got the sfc /scannow errors. I tried DISM again. Said it was successful. So, I rebooted and re-reran sfc again and still errors.

I was able to get the details text file working with the new single-word account. I guess the spaces were the culprit.

Attachments

• SFCDETAILS.txt
    132.1 KB · Views: 651
Reaction score
As you have found the log, by the simpler method of navigating to it, the suggestions are really irelevant. .All you need to do is click the log file If more than one, click the latest. It will open in notepad and you can then copy and paste it here,

Reaction score
before proceeding, are you regularly updating?

Your edition is a little behind the latest.

If you type, in a run box or the search, Winver, it should show OS build 10586.218. I think yours is 122?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi redcloud,

Can you confirm the exact name of the ISO file you are calling on when you use DISM please?

You are mounting a ISO, but what is that ISO's full name in the location you saved it to.

Reaction score
You know, I just realized I am using the USB bootable install drive that I created from the .iso. Is that a problem? The original file is Win10_1511_English_x64.iso. Should I try to use this instead of the usb?

Regedit32

Reaction score
I'd mount the ISO file within the same partition your Windows is installed on.

Note: the ISO needs to be the same build as the OS you are trying to repair

But before we go there again, can you open your Windows Journal, and in its tool bar click Help | About Windows Journal and confirm the Build number there please.

Reaction score
If you look up the file Windows Journal.lnk you will see many references, just make sure and choose one which is recent.

As was mentioned, using the DISM command to repair files may replace a file with an older version. There has been an ongoing problem for me with a file named opencl.dll for quite a while.

You can see from the listing where the file is located and that it is associated with the update KB 3147458 which is recent. You might be able to uninstall that update and then reinstall. It is a link file so it may not be worth the effort.

Cannot repair member file [l:19]"Windows Journal.lnk" of Microsoft-Windows-TabletPC-Journal, version 10.0.10586.122, arch amd64, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35} in the store, hash mismatch

Cannot repair member file [l:19]"Windows Journal.lnk" of Microsoft-Windows-TabletPC-Journal, version 10.0.10586.122, arch amd64, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35} in the store, hash mismatch

This component was referenced by [l:80]"Package_1683_for_KB3147458~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.1.4.3147458-3978_neutral"
2016-05-03 13:02:58, Info CSI 00005541 [SR] Could not reproject corrupted file [l:78 ml:79]"\??\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Tablet PC"\[l:19]"Windows Journal.lnk"; source file in store is also corrupted

Reaction score
Saltgrass. I'd rather not roll back an update. Won't this just cause a future problem when it's time to update again? Is there anything else I can do?

Ask a Question