SOLVED DISM Successful Scannow Fail

Reaction score
Red Cloud, when PowerShell tells you that it cannot correct corrupted files, you need to return to PowerShell and type (or cut and paste)

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth into the PowerShell window and press the [Return] key. This will download files from Windows Update to replace the corrupt ones and, again, this may take some time.

Regedit32

Reaction score
OK red cloud,

Saltgrass is making a good point for you, but if you prefer to return to the DISM option, then here are the steps you need to take.
  • Download the Windows 10 ISO to your computer (I assume you all ready did this but if not then):
  • Go here > https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
  • Scroll down the page and Select Edition | click Confirm
  • Select the product language | click Confirm
  • Click on the 32-bit or 64-bit depending on your System architecture.

If you do not know then click Start |Settings | System | in left pane click About | in right pane look for System Type

As an example I have Windows 10 Home Edition installed so were I to download the ISO I'd select for edition: Windows 10, then as I use International English, I'd select that for my Product language, and as my System Type is 64-bit I'd click the 64-bit button.

Note: The ISO you download MUST match your current installation of WIndows 10
  • OK, so you have downloaded the correct matching ISO to your C-drive. Now we need to mount it.
  • Open File Explorer and go to the location you saved your ISO file to. If there are a lot of files where you saved your ISO download, in the search box type 1511 to quickly find it.
  • Right-click the ISO file | select Mount
  • Now in the LEFT pane of File Explorer or the Address bar of File Explorer note the DRIVE letter assigned to your mount.

It will look something like this:

Mount Drive Letter.png

You can see here the Drive letter assigned is F: (Note: this may vary for other systems)

• Now I need you to make a directory to store the WIM from this mounting. To do this do the following:
  • Right-click on Start | then Left-click on Command Prompt (Admin)
  • At the C:\WINDOWS\System32> prompt type: mkdir C:\WIM | then press Enter
  • Next type: cd C:\ then press Enter to change the prompt to C:\>
  • At the C:\> prompt type or copy & paste the following command:

Dism /Mount-Wim /WimFile:F:\sources\install.wim /index:1 /MountDir:C:\WIM /ReadOnly

Note: I put F:\sources there because that is where my ISO mounted to a moment ago. Replace F: with the drive letter assigned to your mounted ISO if necessary! For example if your assigned drive letter had been J: then the command would look like:

Dism /Mount-Wim /WimFile:J:\sources\install.wim /index:1 /MountDir:C:\WIM /ReadOnly

• Press Enter to execute the above command

You'll now see a box with a progress bar measured in percentages. This will take 1 to 3 minutes approximately to complete. When completed the install.wim will be mounted inside your C:\WIM directory

• OK we are finally ready to do some RestoreHealth work :)
  • So in the Command Prompt window still open, and at the C:\> prompt type or copy & paste the following command:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\WIM\Windows /LimitAccess

The /LimitAccess flag will prevent the use of Windows Update Service for now. We're using this to eliminate the chance a corrupted update is lurking out there, or that the Update Service itself is corrupted. In your case though; given your SFCDetails text file that is not likely.

• This will take a while now. When it is completed you can discard of the mount by typing or copy & pasting the following command at the C:\> prompt

Dism /Unmount-Wim /MountDir:C:\WIM /Discard

• Now type: rmdir C:\WIM | then press Enter to remove the WIM directory completely
  • Next type exit | then press Enter to close the Command prompt
  • Close any other open programs
  • RESTART your computer (This MUST be done NOW, not 1 hour later, not 1 minute later, NOW means NOW! Failure to do this last step will result in a guaranteed failed SFC or DISM scan later).

Well that's it. Best of luck!

Regedit32

Reaction score
Ok, will do. I am eight hours ahead of EST. And I am about to go DM a session of D&D. So, I'll try tomorrow.

Regedit32

Reaction score
As was mentioned, using the DISM command to repair files may replace a file with an older version. There has been an ongoing problem for me with a file named opencl.dll for quite a while.

Note: redcloud this post is to address Saltgrass's issue. Just ignore this post as nothing mentioned here is relevant to your issue.

Hi Saltgrass,

I noticed your comment here and have a suggestion for you which you may not have tried yet:

If you copy some of the steps I just gave to redcloud:
  • Within File Explorer locate and mount the ISO file and note the drive letter assigned to it
  • Then in Elevated command prompt, MKDIR C:\WIM
  • Then mount the Install.WIM to C:\WIM as per above instructions
At this point you can within file explorer open your C:\WIM folder and navigate your way to this location:
  • Note because of its length I'll break the location into a few lines so you can see the fill path

C:\WIM\Windows\WinSxS\
wow64_microsoft-windows-r..xwddmdriver-wow64-c_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10586.0_none_3dae054b56911c22

Code:
C:\WIM\Windows\WinSxS\wow64_microsoft-windows-r..xwddmdriver-wow64-c_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10586.0_none_3dae054b56911c22

(Thanks to Trouble for reminding me about the Insert icon | Code) :)

See image below:

opencl.png

You see there that opencl.dll I assume you are needing for some repair.

You may be able to just copy that to the destination you need to to replace the corrupt one.

If not, then make use of the initial mount step where I got redcloud to identify the drive-letter assigned to that mount. In my case it was F-drive.

So assuming its F drive for the initial mounting you can shortcut the RestoreHealth by pointing it directly to the folder that has the opencl.dll in it like so:

(Sorry its a long single command, that unfortunately breaks into 3 lines here)

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:esd:F:\sources\install.wim\1\Windows\WinSxS\wow64_microsoft-windows-r..xwddmdriver-wow64-c_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10586.0_none_3dae054b56911c22\

Code:
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:esd:F:\sources\install.wim\1\Windows\WinSxS\wow64_microsoft-windows-r..xwddmdriver-wow64-c_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10586.0_none_3dae054b56911c22\

(Cheers Trouble for the tip) :)

Once that command is executed, you ought to Restart computer, then from an elevated command prompt run SFC /SCANNOW

With any luck that might resolve your issue.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Just so everyone knows, there is a thread on the Microsoft forum about this KB and the other one which is 220 pages long.... Seems it caused all sorts of problems for certain types of installs.

The opencl.dll situation is not a problem. I did replace it once but the next Nvidia update messed it up again....

Regedit32

Reaction score
Just so everyone knows, there is a thread on the Microsoft forum about this KB and the other one which is 220 pages long.... Seems it caused all sorts of problems for certain types of installs.

The opencl.dll situation is not a problem. I did replace it once but the next Nvidia update messed it up again....

Ahh ok saltgrass. Thanks for the heads up.

Reaction score
Regedit. Scannow failed again. I followed all of your instructions: downloading the proper .iso, mounting it, creating the WIM mount, running DISM to get files from there, removing the directory, restarting immediately. After the restart, I reran scannow and got the same errors. I am uploading my details file, if you could possibly check it out again.

Also, if looking at the file doesn't matter because this is a .dll problem (as mentioned by Saltgrass), is the best thing to just ignore the error and wait for either Microsoft of Nvidia fix this? If so, I just fear I won't have a stable Win environment, which means I won't use it.

Thanks!

Attachments

• SFC_Details.txt
    56.4 KB · Views: 576
Last edited:
Reaction score
Ms need to update the scannow, for special use in Windows 10.

Reading this thread, inspired me to run it through again. I have a customising habit, of creating my own shortcuts, in areas which, apparently, Microsoft consider are "owned" by them. This is mainly opening folders and pinning the executives for programs, albeit in the existing start menu.

I had no faults from scannow, except it found, and was "unable to repair", all those shortcuts.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Regedit. Scannow failed again. I followed all of your instructions: downloading the proper .iso, mounting it, creating the WIM mount, running DISM to get files from there, removing the directory, restarting immediately. After the restart, I reran scannow and got the same errors. I am uploading my details file, if you could possibly check it out again.

Also, if looking at the file doesn't matter because this is a .dll problem (as mentioned by Saltgrass), is the best thing to just ignore the error and wait for either Microsoft of Nvidia fix this? If so, I just fear I won't have a stable Win environment, which means I won't use it.

Thanks!

Hi redcloud,

Sorry that you continue to have troubles with that single SFC result.

Do you recall your original post that began this thread. If you recall you mentioned using DISM, and posted this among your initial comments. (I've highlighted the last digit in red to illustrate a point).

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.10586.0

Image Version: 10.0.10586.0

Now let's take a look at a slice of your current SFC_Details.txt file you just uploaded:

Cannot repair member file [l:19]"Windows Journal.lnk" of Microsoft-Windows-TabletPC-Journal, version 10.0.10586.122,

Can you spot the difference? Your original ISO build ends with a 0, but clearly you have updated your computer and as a result the build now is ending with 122. Now let's not forget you are also using ISO 1511_some language product_10586.218.

This is why in your SFC_Details.txt you can read:

nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35} in the store, hash mismatch

The mismatch is between the builds.

In this particular instance we are dealing with a .LNK file (i.e. Link / Shortcut file). The file in question is Journal.lnk which is a shortcut pointing to the Program Data location.

If you recall I previously agreed with Saltgrass in his assessment of your original SFC_Details.txt upload, and comparing that with your latest SFC_Details.txt I can see the exact same issue as I have just illustrated above.

In essence what has happened here is your Shortcut link is highly likely to be pointing to an empty folder and the reason for that will most likely be a re-organizing of the Journal during one or more updates between the build ending with 0 and the build ending with 122, and now of course 128.

The SFC scan also pointed to a Update package however this in all likelihood is a false/positive report, not too dissimilar to an Antivirus program giving a false/positive report on a file in order to alert you to it being possibly infected, when in fact you know its a safe file.

OK enough with the technical details and back to that pause and take a breath moment :)

There is NO real need to repair a LINK (Shortcut) file.

• One, you can always open Journal from Start menu the usual way, and
  • Two, you could always create a new Shortcut manually if you cannot live without it

I cannot emphasize enough that this minor glitch is certainly no good reason to abandon the Windows environment.

At this point unless there is a major issue opening Journal I'd utterly ignore that scan result and continue using Windows confidently. If you like, you could bookmark the page regarding Windows Update package and from time to time monitor it to see if any amazing solution pops up; but my guess is there will not be one, for what in all reality is a rather trivial issue. Let's not forget the majority of the comments there have nothing at all to do with your actual issue but are referring to a DLL file instead causing troubles.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Regedit32. Thanks for all your help. I will take our advice and just ignore this issue. Creating the new user account seems to have solved the stability issues. Since you think the shortcut error won't cause the sort of instability that got me started with this repair, I'll forget about it. I'l mark the above post as solved. Thanks!

Ask a Question