Login password

Reaction score
Yesterday I upgraded to Windows 10, and really regret it now as I can't get onto my computer! Once it had finished updating and installing everything, the login page appeared, saying 'Welcome...' and asked for my password. I typed in the password I have always used to login and it said 'Incorrect password. Please try again'. I've tried everything I can think of and no where is there the option of resetting the password or option to click if you have forgotten your password. What can I do? I really need my laptop to be up and running as I have uni work to finish!!!

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Claire,

Prior to upgrading to Windows 10 did you have a Hotmail account or some other Microsoft Account?

If you did its possible Windows has created a Microsoft account login and your password will be the one you normally use to log into Hotmail, or some other Microsoft email account.

If that is the issue and you manage to log in, then to change your login password once logged into Desktop, do the following:
  • Press Winkey + I to open settings | or you can click Start Orb and select Settings
  • Click on Accounts
  • In the left pane of the window that opens click on "Your email and accounts"
  • Now in the right pane click on "Sign in with local account instead" and follow the prompts

Note: In that right pane if you select "Manage my Microsoft account" this will open a Windows Live webpage where you can change your email password should you wish to, and edit other details.

Regedit32

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Regedit32,

Thanks for your reply, but unfortunately I don't have a Hotmail or any other kind of Microsoft Account. Thank you anyway though.

Claire

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Claire,

Couple of questions for you then:
  1. What did you upgrade from? Windows 7, 8.1?
  2. Where did you get the upgrade installation file from? Automatic download, or you manually downloaded?
  3. If manually downloaded - where from.
  4. When you do boot computer and get to login page, what language is displaying at the bottom right corner of window? Is it the language you normally have set up?
  5. Also at bottom right corner of window, is your Network icon displaying you are connected to internet?

Quite a few months ago some users had issues with the upgrade of Windows 10 from Windows 8.1. For some reason not known to me their region settings became corrupted during the upgrade and as a result their keyboard layouts changed. For some users who have digits 0 - 9 within their password, they found if they used their number pad rather than the numeric keys at top of keyboard this allowed their password to be accepted. Once logged in they were able to reset their Region settings and language as one normally does.

Another odd issue that arose for some was that Windows decided it wanted to use some near prehistoric password you may have used with some Microsoft account or program years ago you have long disused. MSN, Hotmail, Windows Live webpage, Windows Store etcetera. You all ready mentioned you don't have such an account so this seems unlikely; however has anyone used your computer who may have set up such an account? If yes, perhaps it is their password you need.

As you have only just installed the upgrade you have the option of rolling back to what ever version of Windows was previously installed. Some users have reported that by rolling back to the original Windows installation, then downloading the Windows 10 ISO file and manually upgrading resolved their Login issue.

If you do end up having to roll back first, then if you choose to do a manual download and installation of Windows 10 ISO upgrade go here for that file and choose the version you require:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sof...459594)(TnL5HPStwNw-nr003wmLIFmmqMfKd3vqtA)()

This page offers instruction on how to use that ISO.

https://neosmart.net/wiki/windows-10-repair-installation/

That page also offers some Windows Repair options that may also resolve your issue without needing to download and reinstalling Windows 10 again.

I've used the above ISO myself to repair some other bugs that popped up. The process took me around 1.75 hours in total. Obviously speed is determined by your Internet connection and your computer so time will vary. The key though is you need to be certain your computer can connect online as the ISO is a large download, and when you run it checks online for latest Windows Updates to include in the installation. So make sure if you do this, to do it at a time you are certain your ISP will not auto boot you for a server reboot, and at a time you have to spare to monitor the installation.

Regards,

Regedit32

Ask a Question