SOLVED Lost administrator account

Reaction score
In Win 10, cannot restore lost administrator account & therefore cannot perform many actions. I can log onto Windows okay, but get following screen when I try to access user accounts, etc. Program Name: User Accounts Control Panel Verified Publisher: Microsoft Windows File Origin: Hard Drive "To continue, type an administrator password and then click Yes." Problem is that there is no place to type anything, & "Yes" is grayed out. ""No" is only option available.

I can't access hidden administrator account, as I receive same msg as above. Is there anything I can do to remedy this? Is system reset or restore my only option? I have Win 8.1 restore disc, but what would happen to my Win 10 if I use that disc? My HP tech support could not help me. Hope someone here has found a solution.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Is system reset or restore my only option?
A "System Restore" is a long way from a "Reset"
A System Restore only takes you back to an earlier point in time. Which may be a suitable solution for you, provided that at some point earlier you did have an Admin Account and did know the password.
I have Win 8.1 restore disc
You can have Windows 10 installation media as well.
The installation media can be obtained through either of these two resources.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
OR
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Once you have the ISO, you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD or Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive, either of which you can use to boot your computer.

When you've managed to boot from the installation media you need to click the Repair Your PC link on the second page after the Choose a Language and Keyboard layout page.
That should get you to the Advanced Troubleshooting options. I would suggesting trying the System Restore option from there.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I have no idea, what that disk might contain, although the Windows 10 installation media is free from Microsoft (those two links that I posted above).

Reaction score
A "System Restore" is a long way from a "Reset"
A System Restore only takes you back to an earlier point in time. Which may be a suitable solution for you, provided that at some point earlier you did have an Admin Account and did know the password.

You can have Windows 10 installation media as well.
The installation media can be obtained through either of these two resources.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
OR
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Once you have the ISO, you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD or Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive, either of which you can use to boot your computer.

When you've managed to boot from the installation media you need to click the Repair Your PC link on the second page after the Choose a Language and Keyboard layout page.
That should get you to the Advanced Troubleshooting options. I would suggesting trying the System Restore option from there.

Reaction score
Thanks. This morn a Microsoft tech called me & resolved the problem without having to do system restore. He got my administrator account & privileges back, so I am again in business. He did what everyone else said could not be done - I am so thankful!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Good news.
Thanks for the follow-up. Great to hear that you are back up and running.

Reaction score
Exactly the same problem here.

After the latest Windows 10 update I lost my administrator rights on my local user account on my PC and on my laptop. I can't access user account settings, as I receive the same msg as the user Texas.

I've called the local Microsoft support in The Netherlands to perform the same trick, but they were not familiar with the problem and not able to help me.

Finally I decided to restore Windows or make a clean install. However to create the installation media by means of the Microsoft tool, you need to be an administrator.

I am in a deadlock here, can anybody help me?

Ask a Question