Lost all of my Google Chrome bookmarks

Reaction score
Due to my computer's corruption, I lost all of my bookmarks on Chrome. I wasn't signed in and need to get them all back before I forget.

Reaction score
look for your firefox profile. It is usually in the folder C:\Users\{your account}\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles

and also here: C:\Users\{your account}\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles

look for a file in the folder "bookmarkbackups" that looks like this:

bookmarks-2017-08-28_1222_0VqbUTqqvPYu14T6N9R9ng==.jsonlz4

this file can be imported again and you will have your bookmarks back.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Based on the underlying cause of your issue(s) I've merged your two threads to prevent some confusion.
Due to my computer's corruption
Depending on how you recovered from that problem and what steps you might have taken during that process, might have some impact on any ability you may have for recovering such files.
IF you performed a reset then you might want to look and see if it preserved anything in the Windows.old folder in which case the profile folder that Grizzly mentioned above may be there, likewise I believe Chrome keeps a similar file for its' bookmarks / favorites.

Reaction score
look for your firefox profile. It is usually in the folder C:\Users\{your account}\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles

and also here: C:\Users\{your account}\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles

look for a file in the folder "bookmarkbackups" that looks like this:

bookmarks-2017-08-28_1222_0VqbUTqqvPYu14T6N9R9ng==.jsonlz4

this file can be imported again and you will have your bookmarks back.

Checking right now and do not see a folder at all.

Reaction score
Based on the underlying cause of your issue(s) I've merged your two threads to prevent some confusion.

Depending on how you recovered from that problem and what steps you might have taken during that process, might have some impact on any ability you may have for recovering such files.
IF you performed a reset then you might want to look and see if it preserved anything in the Windows.old folder in which case the profile folder that Grizzly mentioned above may be there, likewise I believe Chrome keeps a similar file for its' bookmarks / favorites.

Which I didn't. Because the corruption was so bad, almost everything got wiped out including all my folders.

Bif

Reaction score
Due to my computer's corruption, I lost all of my bookmarks on Chrome. I wasn't signed in and need to get them all back before I forget.
When. You say it wasn't signed in do you mean that you didn't have a Google account?..or you simply weren't signed into it?
If you have a Google account all of your bookmarks will be on Google's server..and if you've set the sync settings up..then I'm not sure why they are not easily retrieved..Ive never had an issue with this myself.

Reaction score
When. You say it wasn't signed in do you mean that you didn't have a Google account?..or you simply weren't signed into it?
If you have a Google account all of your bookmarks will be on Google's server..and if you've set the sync settings up..then I'm not sure why they are not easily retrieved..Ive never had an issue with this myself.

I was simply not signed in to it. If I had just created a Google account, everything would've still been on the browser if I installed it back.

Bif

Reaction score
Have you ever enabled sync in the Chrome settings prior to the PC going belly up?.. this link will provide the info on how to do this.
If you had enabled sync including bookmarks, then all you would need to do once Chrome is reinstalled, is go into settings and sync once again..this should reinstate all of your bookmarks.... that is if they were synced to begin with as I say.

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/165139?co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop&hl=en

Reaction score
Have you ever enabled sync in the Chrome settings prior to the PC going belly up?.. this link will provide the info on how to do this.
If you had enabled sync including bookmarks, then all you would need to do once Chrome is reinstalled, is go into settings and sync once again..this should reinstate all of your bookmarks.... that is if they were synced to begin with as I say.

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/165139?co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop&hl=en

The article says that I have to sign in, which I wasn't.

Bif

Reaction score
Again,
did you have a "Google" account that you had ever signed into for what ever reason ( upload a YouTube video, Chat on Google plus etc..)
You DON'T necessarily had to have signed into "Chrome" itself...a "Google" account stretches across everything "Google".
If you never signed up for a "Google" account and thusly never synced between Google platforms then I'm sorry to say that you are out of luck..

Bif

Reaction score
I was simply not signed in to it. If I had just created a Google account, everything would've still been on the browser if I installed it back.
Sorry, missed this detail in the thread...
No Google account = no retrievable bookmarks..
( Unless you made a backup of them ) which I'm assuming you did not.
Sorry

Reaction score
Again,
did you have a "Google" account that you had ever signed into for what ever reason ( upload a YouTube video, Chat on Google plus etc..)
You DON'T necessarily had to have signed into "Chrome" itself...a "Google" account stretches across everything "Google".
If you never signed up for a "Google" account and thusly never synced between Google platforms then I'm sorry to say that you are out of luck..

I did not sign up for a google account.

Bif

Reaction score
It's fine. Wish I did make a backup of them though.
I feel your pain, I regularly back up our bookmarks because my wife would kill me if she had lost all of her recipe's and such!..and regardless what caused a loss of data, it would inevitably be my fault!;)
Having a Google account is invasive at times, but since I use Gmail as a means of sending larger files that most other email clients don't allow..I have no choice but to have one. Other benefits are the synchronization between platforms like bookmarks, calendar, contacts and such.
Again , sorry there's not more that can be done..(as far as I know anyway)

Reaction score
I feel your pain, I regularly back up our bookmarks because my wife would kill me if she had lost all of her recipe's and such!..and regardless what caused a loss of data, it would inevitably be my fault!;)
Having a Google account is invasive at times, but since I use Gmail as a means of sending larger files that most other email clients don't allow..I have no choice but to have one. Other benefits are the synchronization between platforms like bookmarks, calendar, contacts and such.
Again , sorry there's not more that can be done..(as far as I know anyway)

I apologize again. I'm happy with using Microsoft Edge anyway.

Ask a Question