Lost Search window

Reaction score
I tried to change the search from Bing to A.N.Other but in doing so I have deleted the search window from the task bar. How can I restore?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you tried right clicking the taskbar and looking to confirm that you don't have "Search" / "Cortana" hidden?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Not knowing what you may have previously done, the only thing I can think of doing is having a look at this registry key and see what if anything is present
Right click the start button and choose Run and in the run dialog box type
regedit
hit enter or click OK
navigate to this key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search
Look in the right pane and see if you have a Dword Value of EnableSearchBox and if it is set to 1 (1= show searchbox 0= do not show searchbox)

Using the Windows Registry Editor can cause serious, system-wide problems that may require you to re-install Windows to correct them. It cannot be guaranteed that any problems resulting from the use of the Windows Registry Editor can be solved. If you choose to edit the Windows Registry please understand that you do so at your own risk so unless you feel fairly comfortable and confident you should probably not use the Editor. Changes made to the Windows Registry can take effect immediately and those that do not will take effect following the next reboot of your computer, and a current backup is not automatically made for you....So manually create a system restore point, backup the registry and export the key you are editing for safe keeping before doing so.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Actually, I was thinking....
Why not just perform a System Restore to a point in time before you made your changes that resulted in this problem
Right click the start button and choose system
Left column click System Protection
Click the System Restore Button
Choose a different Restore Point
Check the box that says Show more restore points.

Reaction score
Why not just perform a System Restore to a point in time before you made your changes that resulted in this problem

It's been too long for a system restore, it happened soon after the win 10 upload.
The value shown in the reg editor is:- Name ab (Default)
Type REG_SZ
Date (value not set)

Does that give any clues?
Would it be possible to reload win10? if so how?

Thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You may want to attempt an in-place upgrade / repair install. Upgrading Windows 10 by installing it over top of itself.
There is a pretty good article here https://neosmart.net/wiki/windows-10-repair-installation/ just ignore the first couple paragraphs where they are promoting their repair products and scroll down to the meat of the article.

If you do not have the installation media....
The installation media can be obtain through either of these two resources.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
OR
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Once you have the ISO, you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD or Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive, or simply mount the ISO from within Windows 10 and run setup.exe from there.
Choose upgrade and make sure the box is ticked to obtain updates as part of the upgrade process.

Ask a Question