Lost wireless connection

Reaction score
I have had a virus on my desktop and now the only connection I have to the internet is by Ethernet. I don't seem to have a wireless driver any longer, that is if I would have had one before, I don't really understand. Please help

Reaction score
Your desktop has a built in wireless system or an add-in card?

Look in device manager so see if you have a network device with a yellow exclamation point. Look at its properties and you may then try to roll back to previous driver or update to a new driver. Eitherway you will know the make of the adapter and can go to the manufacturers web site and download a driver. Let us know if you have more questions.

Reaction score
Your desktop has a built in wireless system or an add-in card?

Look in device manager so see if you have a network device with a yellow exclamation point. Look at its properties and you may then try to roll back to previous driver or update to a new driver. Eitherway you will know the make of the adapter and can go to the manufacturers web site and download a driver. Let us know if you have more questions.

There are no network devices with a yellow exclamation point so I presume the one I want is missing. Is that right?

Reaction score
OK then is there a network section( must be as you have ethernet) and in there are there at least two devices? And is the wifi one present?

If so then go and right click on the network icon on the task bar to open Netwrok and sharing centre. In there click on Change adapter settings. There will be an ethernet adapter on that screen...is there another adapter ? If so click on its properties and tell us what you see.

Or does your desktop use a USB dongle for wifi ? That should still be visible if it is plugged in...you might want to try unplugging it and plugging it back in..perhaps into another usb socket.

Reaction score
OK then is there a network section( must be as you have ethernet) and in there are there at least two devices? And is the wifi one present?

If so then go and right click on the network icon on the task bar to open Netwrok and sharing centre. In there click on Change adapter settings. There will be an ethernet adapter on that screen...is there another adapter ? If so click on its properties and tell us what you see.

in the box that has popped up for Wi-Fi Properties
Networking
connect using
Broadcom WLAN Adapter
Configure
Then there is a list of things entitled "This connection uses the following items

all of which are ticked except for Microsoft Network adapter Multiplexor Protocol

I then have options to install or uninstall

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
in the box that has popped up for Wi-Fi Properties
Networking
connect using
Broadcom WLAN Adapter
Configure
Then there is a list of things entitled "This connection uses the following items

all of which are ticked except for Microsoft Network adapter Multiplexor Protocol

I then have options to install or uninstall

I've just done a troubleshooting on the Network and Internet and the message I got was "You have no preferred wireless networks". My network is not listed on the Wi-Fi page. There are 2 others there but not mine!

Reaction score
OK So Windows is seeing Wifi...must be as it is seeing two other networks. Maybe rebooting your router is next.
Then left click on the network icon and hopefully you'll see yours as well as the other two.

I note that my system which has both ethernet and wifi does not have that Multiplexor protocol thing ticked.

Reaction score
OK So Windows is seeing Wifi...must be as it is seeing two other networks. Maybe rebooting your router is next.
Then left click on the network icon and hopefully you'll see yours as well as the other two.

I note that my system which has both ethernet and wifi does not have that Multiplexor protocol thing ticked.

I did do that earlier to no avail. I think I'm going to have to pay an HP Technician to install the driver as I keep getting error code 2753 when I try to install it.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Try changing the channel that your wifi router is currently using.
Try switch the security encryption that your wifi router is currently using. from TKIP to AES or AES to TKIP or AES + TKIP.
Try running it open, no encryption temporarily, just to see if you can connect. Then move it back to WPA2 and play with the encryption.

Reaction score
Try changing the channel that your wifi router is currently using.
Try switch the security encryption that your wifi router is currently using. from TKIP to AES or AES to TKIP or AES + TKIP.
Try running it open, no encryption temporarily, just to see if you can connect. Then move it back to WPA2 and play with the encryption.

You've lost me now. How do I do that

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Your wireless router has a user interface that you can connect to from a web browser, using the ip address of the router
In that interface you can configure your wireless settings with respect to channel, encryption, etc., etc.,

Ask a Question