Low Memory Slows Computer?

Reaction score
I totally understand what virtual memory is, and now it works.

What is the purpose of your link? It says nothing to support your claim. Note it clearly says, as you noted, the PF takes up "literally, about 1% - maybe even less" of the disk space.

If 1% matters, the disk is too full of other things.

The PF is NOT used for multi-tasking and no where in your link does it suggest it is.

The PF is used to cache data the system may soon need. SuperFetch is not a factor here either as that simply affects (on hard drives only - not SSDs) how files are arranged on your disk for faster loading. SuperFetch is NOT used to cache data or temporary storage. But in any case, that is part of that 1%.

Note the point of contention here is your claim the computer is slow is because the PF is too big. Again, if 1% matters, there are much bigger problems that need to be addressed.

Reaction score
for the price they are now buy a bigger ssd

and use hard disk manager to clone it ...10 min and its done

Reaction score
I totally understand what virtual memory is, and now it works.

What is the purpose of your link? It says nothing to support your claim. Note it clearly says, as you noted, the PF takes up "literally, about 1% - maybe even less" of the disk space.

If 1% matters, the disk is too full of other things.

The PF is NOT used for multi-tasking and no where in your link does it suggest it is.

The PF is used to cache data the system may soon need. SuperFetch is not a factor here either as that simply affects (on hard drives only - not SSDs) how files are arranged on your disk for faster loading. SuperFetch is NOT used to cache data or temporary storage. But in any case, that is part of that 1%.

Note the point of contention here is your claim the computer is slow is because the PF is too big. Again, if 1% matters, there are much bigger problems that need to be addressed.

The paging file is used for multi-tasking. I'm not saying the PF is too big I'm saying there is not enough space to use a paging file or more space is needed. SSD's are know to slow down as the fill up just because of the way they read and write to the media.

One of the reason your computer is faster when you add memory is because the data is cached in memory which is 100 hundreds of time faster than HD drives and SSD's.

Reaction score
The paging file is used for multi-tasking.
No it's not - not in the sense that you are implying. The OS uses the PF. It does not matter if the system is multi-tasking or not. The fact of the matter is, with nothing else running, Windows is always multi-tasking. Whether the PF is used or not depends on amount of system RAM, and the priority of the data. It is because of this priority that Windows will still use a PF even with 64GB of RAM installed.

SSD's are know to slow down as the fill up just because of the way they read and write to the media.
That is not exactly correct either. For sure SSDs will slow down dramatically as they reach near capacity. But the fact of the matter is, SSDs makers set aside about 7% of the capacity for "overprovisioning" just to avoid such slowdowns. But that has nothing to do with Windows not having space to operate in as is the problem here.

One of the reason your computer is faster when you add memory is because the data is cached in memory which is 100 hundreds of time faster than HD drives and SSD's.
No. You are confusing terms. RAM and cache are not the same thing. It is not about caching. You can certainly set up a "RAMdisk" then use for caching with the PF, but that is then treated as totally separate from system RAM. Or you can use a software solution such as PrimoCache to setup a similar feature.

I'm not saying the PF is too big
Okay. Now you don't, but you did in post #18 above. And that's how this started. And now I think it time to move on.

Reaction score
http://lifehacker.com/5426041/understanding

The page file expands. The pageneral file can't be bigger than the space left on the drive. So technically the pagefile running out of space is because of lack of disk space. Working in IT I've seen our desktop tech change the page file size from a specified size to let windows decide and performance increased.

Reaction score
I am well familiar with that link. I post it a lot when users think because they have lots of RAM, they don't need a PF. That is wrong. But it does not change anything for this discussion so I fail to see the point of you posting this link either.
The pageneral file can't be bigger than the space left on the drive. So technically the pagefile running out of space is because of lack of disk space.
It just seems you keep re-defining your comment to make some new point - I don't get why but that does not matter either. You first said the PF is too big. Then you said you are not saying it is too big. Let's leave it at that.

Reaction score
Yes it uses memory first but if that's left it uses the page file. The thing about the page file too big is the glass half or half empty situation. The page file run out of space because it full. The real issue is there isn't enough space for the page file to grow so it slows the system down. The system will get slow as the PF grows but will really crawl all the space is taken (either by PF or data) and disk is full.

Reaction score
I am well familiar with that link. I post it a lot when users think because they have lots of RAM, they don't need a PF. That is wrong. But it does not change anything for this discussion so I fail to see the point of you posting this link either.
It just seems you keep re-defining your comment to make some new point - I don't get why but that does not matter either. You first said the PF is too big. Then you said you are not saying it is too big. Let's leave it at that.

The real reason is there isn't Enough Disk Space left regardless if it's real data or the page file. Page file is limited by the free space on the drive.

Ask a Question