mail sync issue

Reaction score
I am trying to help a friend with her Windows 10 issue. She has had her system for a few months and all ran well till last week when she stopped receiving emails. I'm pretty familar with Windos 7 and told her I'd look at it. I discovered that when I bring up her email program nothing shows to be in her inbox until I click on the "sync this view" icon then her new emails appear; however new emails will not show until you click on that sync icon again. She states she never had this problem till last week. I have been doing a lot of research and this problem has been reported but I have only found some suggestions to what might fix it. I read about the "mail app", is this what they call the mail program under Windows 10 or is the "mail app" pertain to mobil devices only? One suggestion was to uninstall the mail app and re-install it. Another suggestion was to delete the email account and recreate it. If either of these are done, will the contact list be lost? Any help is greatly appreciated ... I dont want to make things worse by start uninstalling major apps or deleting accounts and loosing her personal information.
Thanks

Reaction score
I'm assuming your friend is using the Windows 10 Mail App? If so:
Click the Start icon and then the cogwheel (Settings)
Click "Accounts", then , on the left, "Email and App accounts"
Under your friends account, click the item "manage"
Click the item "Change Mailbox Sync settings"

There you can adjust the frequency at which mail is collected

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm assuming your friend is using the Windows 10 Mail App? If so:
Click the Start icon and then the cogwheel (Settings)
Click "Accounts", then , on the left, "Email and App accounts"
Under your friends account, click the item "manage"
Click the item "Change Mailbox Sync settings"

There you can adjust the frequency at which mail is collected
Yes, I did check that setting and it was check "all the time" or something like that vs. 'every 15 minutes" or "once an hour", "once a day" etc.
Thanks for the suggestion thought.

Reaction score
OK. Then it is obviously outside the Mail App configurations. Can't think of anything for the moment, except that she may have inadvertently deleted an important part in the mail options. Sorry, but I am going to be away for a while now, but someone else, meanwhile, may have and idea. Meanwhile, See if you can extract from her, anything , or any part, of the OS she has been inspecting lately- or, has she, at the time of the failure, installed anything new.

Reaction score
No further action.
One more suggestion.
Settings again -Apps and features.
It takes a few seconds to populate
Scroll down to Mail and Calendar and, click, then select "Advanced options"
Click "reset"

Other than that, is to go into the internet6 settings and see if the firewall is blocking. I always leave the firewall alone and on defaults so, if you want to look in their, it has massive options, be very careful.

Reaction score
No further action.
One more suggestion.
Settings again -Apps and features.
It takes a few seconds to populate
Scroll down to Mail and Calendar and, click, then select "Advanced options"
Click "reset"

Other than that, is to go into the internet6 settings and see if the firewall is blocking. I always leave the firewall alone and on defaults so, if you want to look in their, it has massive options, be very careful.

Thanks again Dave ... going over her house today and will try this suggestion ... will report back on results.

Ask a Question