SOLVED Many BSOD's in previous 30-days - attended and unattended

Reaction score
I have an ongoing problem that began approximately April 24, 2019 -- my windows 10 self-built desktop PC is shutting down unexpectedly. This occurs most of the time when the PC is unattended. According to my log, it has occurred at least 20 times since the date mentioned. It seems to occur randomly in time but on MAY 24th it occurred 5 times and since that day, the shutdowns have been ALMOST daily. When the shutdown occurs while I am actively using the PC, the only warning is the blue screen -- your PC has run into a problem. I have Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit, v1809 (OS Build 17763.529). RAM is 8GB; CPU is Intel Q9400.

The Feature update to Windows 10, version 1809 amd64 2019-04 was successfully installed on ‎4/‎22/‎2019, just TWO DAYS BEFORE MY PROBLEM BEGAN. I did post to a different forum but there was only one reply and that occurred more than 5 days ago and was asking for more info which I gave.

I have looked at the event log but I am totally lost and I know nearly nothing regarding interpretation to arrive at my problem, and thus find a solution. I have the following for security software programs - Bitdefender Total Security; SecureAPlus; and others.

There has been no memory changes and no hardware changes in over 1-year. I have updated all drivers within the past three or four days. The SSD OS drive as reported by HDSentinel Pro is "The status of the solid state disk is PERFECT. Problematic or weak sectors were not found."

Thank you! I will continue to search deeper to see if I need to upload more info.

Reaction score
Just some comments, one is that AMD64 refers to the x64/64-bit computing/processing, works on both Intel and AMD CPUs.
I have the following for security software programs - Bitdefender Total Security; SecureAPlus; and others
That can be a problem as similar program actions interfere with each other, my choice would be to simplify by uninstalling all and using Windows Defender for awhile.

In dire cases it may be necessary to do a clean install, get the MCT/Media Creation Tool to download Win10 [Version 1903 is current]. Choices would be the .iso file used to create a bootable DVD disc and/or create a bootable USB drive.

Reaction score
If you are actually having BSODs then you should have dump files. If you find any in the Windows\minidump folder, select a couple and right click to send to a compressed folder. Then you should be able to attach the .zip folder so we can check files. If you don't have a minidump folder you may need to set that up.

The Event viewer may give you a bugcheck code we could use. The msinfo32.exe utility may show a problem device in that section you could check.

And I do agree with Bighorn regarding using multiple anti-virus programs. On May 19th there was an update released.

Reaction score
As mentioned, using multiple anti virus programs can often be a problem. I would uninstall SecureAPlus at the very least. Bitdefender is one of the best free anti virus programs out there. That and a weekly scan with the free version of Malwarebytes is sufficient protection. But it may not be a bad idea for troubleshooting purposes to uninstall both like Bighorn suggested and just go with Windows Defender for a while. There does come a point where a clean install of Widows may be necessary. If you still have blue screen errors then, you have to start looking at hardware.

Reaction score
Thank you both very much for your reply help! I do appreciate your time, effort, and suggestions!

I was away from home yesterday and unable to reply but I expect to be at home today and I will explore the options to see if I have dmp files available to attach. If not, then I will set that up. I can process the event viewer in order to post a bugcheck code but I am not sure how to do that. I have examined the results of MSInfo32.exe but there is more information there than I can accurately process. At first glance there appears to be some persistent programs causing an error. I will continue to try to correlate the windows error report with the time of a BSOD as per my event viewer. A qualified tech perhaps could pinpoint my persistent BSOD cause or causes very quickly. Should I zip and post my exported MSInfo32 text file?

As far as multiple AV's, that is not the case. Bitdefender is the only active AV. Those two security programs that I mentioned and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware are installed on my other six PC's and have been installed on all seven PC's for 8+ years. There have been no regularly occurring BSOD's on any of the seven PC's, just on this desktop and just as I noted that began 2 days after the 1809 Windows update. I will resort to Windows Defender if I must but from what I have read, Windows Defender protection does not come close to Bitdefender's protection. I am very skeptical and not yet inclined to give up protection for what has worked in the past and what continues to work on six other machines (that of course do have hardware differences) but they keep on working without any BSOD's.

I can zip and post specific files to help you or someone to determine my BSOD cause or causes if you specify what I should post. In checking for CrashDumps, I have found this location [C:\Users\LRM\AppData\Local\CrashDumps], but should I zip them all or am I in the wrong location? There are three dump culprits in that folder: Explorer.exe; AutoRuns.exe, & NeroInfo.exe. BTW, I have already, completely uninstalled NeroInfo, Nero Core, & Nero Media Home using my Revo Uninstaller Pro. I do see other crashdump, crashdumps, minidumps, IPdumps, & errorDump folders in various locations.

Thanks again for your replies.

Reaction score
I have located multiple .dmp files but every one I open using nirsoft's "BlueScreenView" is void of any information in either pane and in all columns plus in the lower left corner of the open window, there is text that says "0 Crashes". Examples of .dmp files that I found in multiple locations of my c:/ drive are: svchost.exe.7244; conhost.exe.10512; NeroInfo.exe.15156; autoruns.exe.19088; explorer.exe.15356

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The files that you have mentioned thus far are not examples of a SYSTEM crash generated dump file.
Those files are typically used by the software to troubleshoot and diagnose issues with a particular program.
There are two locations that system crash dump files are stored by default, depending on how you've configured the system.
%SystemRoot%\MEMORY.DMP (one big dump file)
OR
%SystemRoot%\Minidump (folder containing multiple smaller dump files)

Reaction score
Thanks. I had to configure for the correct location. There was nothing on my system matching either of those locations. Now all I have to wait for is another BSOD, if one occurs. With some good fortune, there won't be another. I will re-post if there is. If no BSOD in a couple of days, I will mark as solved.

Last edited:

Ask a Question