Many UWP apps won't adhere to the Dark mode setting (version 1903 build 18362.175)

Reaction score
I recently performed a system reset which I selected the clean install option installing version 1903 build 18362.175. The operation finished successfully. Everything on the PC is working as expected.

However, I do have this small quirky complaint. Just about all the built-in Microsoft UWP apps do not adhere to the Dark theme setting I selected in Settings > Personalization > Colors > Choose Your Color = Dark. On the same Settings page I selected the Title bars and windows borders box with the accent color to be displayed in a medium shade of blue.

When I launch the UWP apps, I expected the "entire" title bar to be black. Instead, the title bar is black except for the minimize/maximize/closed buttons on the right corner of the title bar. The color of those buttons are displayed in the access color, blue. This is the list of the affected apps: settings, calculator, calendar, alarm & clock, camera, connect, groove music, maps, and movies & tv.

If I switch from Dark to Light theme, the apps still display the buttons in blue. I have another PC running version 1803 and this issue is not manifested. When setting the Dark theme on that PC, the "entire" title bar for each app mentioned above is displayed in black.

Can anyone reproduce this scenario or has anyone experienced the same?

Reaction score
Test: If someone has a spare PC, attempt a "factory reset" operation. Login to create the first desktop user profile. Open the Microsoft UWP apps (calendar, edge, calculator, movie, etc) to see what the windows caption buttons look like.

If you selected Light mode, they should be grey/white
If you selected Dark mode, they should be black
If you see the bug, they are going to be displayed in the selected accent color

Ask a Question