SOLVED McAfee files

Reaction score
I got message from McAfee for possible virus. I do not have McAfee. Pretty sure a Phish Scam. To be sure I did a Search on START to UnInstall the program, if it was there. Not there. I then did a scan of C: looking for anything to do with McAfee and got some hits? Not sure about this. Can I just delete them manually?
1615916023018.png

Reaction score
It could be that McAfee was originally bundled with your PC. Even if it was uninstalled, it'll most likely leave files and registry entries behind. Where did you get this message? Notifications, email, or somewhere else???

Reaction score
I agree with BigFeet. Often a trial of McAfee is pre-installed on some computers. I would use their removal tool to completely uninstall it.

Reaction score
I was derelict in getting this message posted. Happened 2 weeks ago. Don't recall exact wording but alluded to a virus. Bell dings to alert me. Figured it was a bogus McAfee warning since I do not have it. Did a couple complete virus scans and an Adware scan. Hard reboot and that seemed to resolve it. I believe your are correct,,, probably was part of a short lived new purchase give-away package that was never fully installed. After locating these McAfee files I toyed with just deleting them but thought this would be a good place to seek advise. I will look into the McAfee removal tool, but wonder how this would work since it was never ever fully installed?? Thanks for the advise!

Reaction score
It’s worth a try. Even if it wasn’t activated most likely it was installed by the PC manufacturer as part of the Windows image. Mine had BullGuard on & at the time I used Norton.

Reaction score
Yes, use the removal tool if you're going to get rid of the files, because there's more than likely entries in the registry related to the files. It might throw errors if you just delete them.

Reaction score
I ran the McAfee Uninstaller. Files are still there. So, I deem the files which I showed in my initial post to be duds. And rather than risk inadvertently creating a problem , will not fix something that don't need fixing,,, and leave things alone. Thanks for the help.

Ask a Question