SOLVED McAfee antivirus error in windows 10

Reaction score
I know this sound very vague, so I will explain. I was having an issue with Sonos controller for windows not being seen by the network. First I thought that the integrated network port was malfunctioning, so I purchased and installed a network adapter card. That didn't fix the issue, so I thought that it could be the Windows Defender firewall acting up. I went and purchased a McAfee antivirus suite and installed it. The next thing I knew, I could not access my network drives nor could I access my router webpage until I uninstalled McAfee completely. I did this several times then contacted McAfee Support.After about 2 hours we came to theorize that it might be the router because all of my network devices are on port 4 except for my desktop that is on port 1. I contacted AT&T Fiber support and was told that the system on their end was fine and it must be on my end. I went to the AT&T router page and found that I have two ports associated with my desktop PC. One is on port 4 and one is on port 1. I'm not sure if it is because I have two Network ports (although one is disabled).

I was hoping that if I did a fresh install of windows 10 on my PC that it could possibly fix the issue. The whole thing is very frustrating. Any help pointing me in the right direction would be great!

Reaction score
McAfee can block and lot of stuff and just leave messages. I realized that early on and set mine to notify me and let me approve any blocks.

The controller may be calling home or needs some type of communication to function.. If you know its IP address, you may find log entries but if it is using IPv6 it is harder to track.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Here is what I have done so far. I uninstalled my VPN and I removed the network adapter card. I was still getting two different ip addresses and two different MAC addresses. I found out that one is the address of IPv4 and the other is the address of IPv6. One is active (IPv6) and the other is inactive (IPv4). I still don't know what to do next. I will look into doing a recovery install of Windows 10 and weigh the pros and cons before I commit to doing anything.

Reaction score
I think I've solved my issue. I went ahead and installed McAfee antivirus first. When it was fully installed I checked my network drives to make sure that they could be accessed. They were accessible! I then installed the Sonos controller and it worked! I guess not having the VPN in the mix kind of made a more direst path. In a few days I will try to re-install the VPN to see if it plays nice with McAfee.

Reaction score
Glad you got it working. I don't have much experience with a VPN except it is supposed to be between you system and a remote location. I would have thought your Sonos setup would not be involved.

Reaction score
Glad you got it working. I don't have much experience with a VPN except it is supposed to be between you system and a remote location. I would have thought your Sonos setup would not be involved.
I think the network problem had been ongoing for a while, and it wasn't until I could no longer run the Sonos controller that I realized that there was a problem. I don't believe Sonos was involved but I know it wouldn't work until I got the network bugs ironed out. It sounds pretty complicated but in the end it all worked out for the good.

Ask a Question