Microsoft Account

Reaction score
I opted out of signing into Win 10 with a MS account. Could someone please explain if there are any disadvantages of not signing into Windows 10 with a MS account. I don't wish to have MS products forced upon me.

Reaction score
davehc Thanks for the link.
It certainly helped me make a decision, that is, I don't feel the need for a MS Account.
I don't have multiple devices that require synchronizing;
I'm not a big fan of Windows apps, most of the apps that came with Win 10 I've turned OFF;
I don't use services like Hotmail, Windows Live and Outlook or devices like an Xbox or a Windows Phone.
Lastly, I want the fuss of a MS account with a two step verification system of your identity each time I sign in. I just have My Admin account for maintenance use only and a daily user account.

Reaction score
I had to create a new account as my original account (a MS account) to a Local account with admin rights. The biggest difference is the wallpaper and personalized stuff won't be shared with other computers. No the apps I wanted to sync I just logged into those apps with the MS account and the PC with a local account. I used the MS account to login to the Store and Outlook.

Reaction score
I guess it comes down to the historical question:
Why do you have a problem with a MS account?

Reaction score
I don't want MS to automatically install unwanted applications and other...I prefer to do that if I wish.

Reaction score
davehc
No not yet! But that's how MS operates they want to be known as the "Dominator" LOL
Microsoft is a bully, they have been aggressively pushing Windows 10 harder than they have ever pushed any previous version of its flagship product. Every device on the planet has received the “Get Windows 10” installation utility, which nags users to download and install Win 10. But Microsoft has gone a step further, actually pushing multi-gigabytes of Win 10 files onto the hard drives of people who haven’t asked for it. That's how MS works. Wait 5 minutes LOL
I do actually have Win 10 on 3 PC's and love it just the way it is. However it will take some time before I can say the same about Edge and how MS have control of the browser, time will tell.

@Norton

Reaction score
I don't want MS to automatically install unwanted applications and other...I prefer to do that if I wish.
They are going to do that anyways. It is odd you have an issue with having a Microsoft account associated with your OS, but you're running Windows 10 which is "phoning home" and storing your info on their servers so they can target advertisements to you (so they say).

Reaction score
I opted out of signing into Win 10 with a MS account. Could someone please explain if there are any disadvantages of not signing into Windows 10 with a MS account. I don't wish to have MS products forced upon me.

Well you can't login to the MS store or Onedrive. You can use a local account to login to Windows 10 then use your MS account to sync Onedrive and login to the MS store.

Reaction score
Jake B That's what I would do if I ever find a need. I'm not a big fan of MS apps. I've read that once you download apps from the MS Store, they are on your PC for ever, even after you disable them. I think it's MS way of saying they are on your PC just in case you have a future use for them.

This is what I was referring to from another forum.

"Unfortunately, it’s not possible to delete the uninstalled app history from the Windows App Store.
I'm showing all the hundreds of apps I tried out it is now difficult than ever. This really sucks that microsoft is not giving its users any control over the store. That’s too bad because I know I won’t be re-installing these apps. That is why I posted the question. So, for those of us that do “know what we want to keep," we need some way to remove them"

Reaction score
Jake B That's what I would do if I ever find a need. I'm not a big fan of MS apps. I've read that once you download apps from the MS Store, they are on your PC for ever, even after you disable them. I think it's MS way of saying they are on your PC just in case you have a future use for them.

This is what I was referring to from another forum.

"Unfortunately, it’s not possible to delete the uninstalled app history from the Windows App Store.
I'm showing all the hundreds of apps I tried out it is now difficult than ever. This really sucks that microsoft is not giving its users any control over the store. That’s too bad because I know I won’t be re-installing these apps. That is why I posted the question. So, for those of us that do “know what we want to keep," we need some way to remove them"

Well I don't use alot of the apps but some are useful. They are basically web apps that don't require a browser which actually make them safer then wen apps. The thing with the Modern Apps is they are short and sweet and good at single tasks. I use the NFL Sunday ticket app so I don't have to search for the NFL Sunday ticket of the directv site. I click the games popup I select the Steeler and if my HDMI is connected it goes to the TV (very convenient). When the Windows 10 mail app wasn't working I used Touch Mail to replace it.

Ask a Question