SOLVED Microsoft Account

Reaction score
I recently bought office home and student 2016 for my daughter. I went to office.com/setup and found that I needed to create a Microsoft account before I could go any further. During this account setup process, Microsoft said they sent me an email that was needed to continue with creating the account. After numerous tries for several days, there was no email in my inbox, spam folder or junk mailbox. The account is there, I just cant go any further with it and use the product key to get my copy of office home and student. I'm getting very upset that I paid good money for software that I cant download and that Microsoft cannot send me the email needed for me to continue. My email address has been typed in correct every time I clicked on resend.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi and Welcome to the Forum dscully5.

Have you tried looking at your Microsoft Inbox by doing the following:
  • Right-click on Start then select Settings
  • In the Settings window, click on Accounts
  • If not all ready displaying, then on left side click Your Info
  • Now in window, click on Manage my Microsoft account
This will open your default browser and take you to your personal account at Microsoft's Server

Once it has loaded, you can do a number of things such as check your online purchases, which presumably in your case will list that Microsoft Office product you bought.

You can also access your Microsoft Mail there too!

inbox.png

Let us know how you get on trying that. Definitely worth trying.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
I bought the product at staples. I did try the path you explained, thanks. It wont let me go any further like before. It says Microsoft sent me an email, they did not. Checked all mailboxes, not there.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Did you use a third party email server, [e.g. GMAIL], or OUTLOOK Web mail server, or something else for your email account you chose to set up the Microsoft account?

Also, when you right-click on Start and select Settings > Accounts does the email address displayed there match the email account you used to create a Microsoft account?

Also, when clicking that link I gave you in previous post, were you signed-in to your computer using the Microsoft account, or were you just signed-in locally. If only signed-in locally, when you visit that link you'd need to sign-in to the Microsoft account to be able to do anything there.

Sorry, I do not know what Staples is. I'm in New Zealand. Is that some kind of website where you can buy software online? If it is, are you certain it is Microsoft certified? A lot of sites off what seems like unbelievable deals on Microsoft products, and they are not certified or they are OEM products, meaning you are purchasing hardware with the software pre-installed onto it.

Reaction score
Staples is a North American business supplies, including some oomputers and software. store...usually pretty reputable is always a bit overpriced...but if you need a 0.5mm drawing pen and purple ink they usually have it!

Reaction score
This email sounds like the one they send with the 10 digit code to confirm your account set up. Usually arrives within a couple of minutes in the mail system that you have given them in the account set up.

Reaction score
This email sounds like the one they send with the 10 digit code to confirm your account set up. Usually arrives within a couple of minutes in the mail system that you have given them in the account set up.
I believe you are correct.

Reaction score
Did you use a third party email server, [e.g. GMAIL], or OUTLOOK Web mail server, or something else for your email account you chose to set up the Microsoft account?

Also, when you right-click on Start and select Settings > Accounts does the email address displayed there match the email account you used to create a Microsoft account?

Also, when clicking that link I gave you in previous post, were you signed-in to your computer using the Microsoft account, or were you just signed-in locally. If only signed-in locally, when you visit that link you'd need to sign-in to the Microsoft account to be able to do anything there.

Sorry, I do not know what Staples is. I'm in New Zealand. Is that some kind of website where you can buy software online? If it is, are you certain it is Microsoft certified? A lot of sites off what seems like unbelievable deals on Microsoft products, and they are not certified or they are OEM products, meaning you are purchasing hardware with the software pre-installed onto it.
Yes, I used a third party email (Comcast.net). The same email address is displayed in my account on the computer. I was signed in locally before but now I chose the option to sign on to the computer using the Microsoft account and since last night I still have not received the email to confirm account.

Regedit32

Reaction score
I was signed in locally before but now I chose the option to sign on to the computer using the Microsoft account

Have you tried returning to that Microsoft accounts webpage since signing-in with Microsoft account?

Reaction score
Have you tried returning to that Microsoft accounts webpage since signing-in with Microsoft account?
You got me thinking about the email used to open account. I changed it to a gmail account and everything worked out. Got the office download installed for my daughter. Thanks very much to everyone with your replies. Especially Regedit32.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Great news !!!

Glad its all worked out for you.

Thanks for letting us know how you resolved the issue. :)

Ask a Question