SOLVED E-Mail from "Microsoft Account Team"

Reaction score
Just got an e-mail stating someone broke into my Microsoft account this morning from Australia. It had a button to select for them to check the account and something about adding an additional security question. No official Microsoft logos on the e-mail.

Anybody else seeing this type of activity?

I did go to my account on my own and it shows no recent activity.

Thanks..

Reaction score
No but I am suspicious of ANY company send me emails about my dealings with them.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Anybody else seeing this type of activity?
Nope, although it seems any such email is often less than timely for me.

I agree, be suspicious and double check the header and confirm that it is from Microsoft.com

Reaction score
After I checked my account, I got another e-mail from them, so I went to the account and changed my password.

Possibly they are doing a security check and wanting folks to update their info. Changing the password also asked for a phone number to use as verification, which I skipped, for now.

So it looks like the e-mail was authentic.

Reaction score
Thanks, Trouble.. I suppose I will have to wonder if someone actually had my password or that part was made up to encourage the password change.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Interesting.
Had you recently used that account to check you mail or something on a new device or a device you don't often use for such purposes?

Reaction score
Nothing different I know of, especially at 4 am. They supplied me with the origin country, IP address and time of the suspect activity.

I will be keeping an eye on it for a while. When I changed the password, I used a different computer in case there was some malware on the original system.

Reaction score
After I checked my account, I got another e-mail from them, so I went to the account and changed my password.

Possibly they are doing a security check and wanting folks to update their info. Changing the password also asked for a phone number to use as verification, which I skipped, for now.

So it looks like the e-mail was authentic.
Phone text is secondary security, I work remotely without phone connection. I found an app by MS for Android Authenticator. It will create a number for authenticating when you don't have access to cell phone.

Reaction score
Thanks Clintlgm, I was thinking they would ask for the number to verify but they may want to actually call. No text messages to a land line.

When I access the Apple store they send a 6 digit number to my iPhone before they will unlock the account. It is also not required to be in that program but I chose to in that case.

Reaction score
Such emails I usually ignore as I think they are fishing emails. For my MS account I have a two step verification. If someone tries to get into my account I get a request for approval on my cellphone (via the MS app). I sure won't let anyone else beside me access my accounts, not even MS...

Reaction score
Yes Outlook.com accounts are the same you should have at least 2 choices email or Text, I find text is the easiest for me at least. But seemed every time I needed it I was on a ship that was out of range of Cell towers. Phone over Wi-Fi has handled most of it but then I found the App its fool proof

Reaction score
When they tell me someone attempted to break in, what exactly might that mean. Was it someone who misspelled their e-mail address, or someone intentionally trying with just an e-mail address and no password?

If someone with my account e-mail tries 3 times using the incorrect password, could that lock me out of my account?

There is still a chance it was a rouse by Microsoft to get me to change my password. When I tried to reset it to one similar to my old one, it would not let me because it said the password was too close to one of my Security Question answers.

Reaction score
I would contact MS Tech support to answer your question, They would have the ability to research exactly what happen.. I have several email accounts, @msn @Hotmail, @live.com @outlook.com. Never have they asked me to change passwords for any of these accounts ever!! I do have very secure passwords for each account, I do have 2 step verification set up.

Reaction score
I just got an e-mail from Microsoft regarding editing my security questions. They state the questions and answers are not accessible to the user, so no way to edit. You would need to change accounts and set them up again.

I wish I remembered what my answers were but it looks like I won't until it becomes necessary to use them.

The option for double verification may be good for some folks but I will not be using it at this time.

Thanks all..

Reaction score
I just got an e-mail from Microsoft regarding editing my security questions. They state the questions and answers are not accessible to the user, so no way to edit. You would need to change accounts and set them up again.

I wish I remembered what my answers were but it looks like I won't until it becomes necessary to use them.

The option for double verification may be good for some folks but I will not be using it at this time.

Thanks all..
Yes awhile back I started using RoboForm so when I set up an account I copy and paste all the data from security question into the note fields forever not lost. And only one very secure password to remember

Ask a Question