Microsoft Edge AdBlock

Reaction score
http://www.edgeadblock.com/
Edge AdBlock is a small, simple, standalone ad blocker program that allows you to block ads and banners in the Microsoft Edge browser. You don't need any extension or addon to block advertisements. With Edge AdBlock installed you will surf the web faster and safer.
I don't know if this adblocker is worth mentioning just yet. I came across Edge AdBlock and thought I would share the link.

If you do decide to try it out, please share your thoughts.

Reaction score
Trying it right now.
Does not get rid of all adverts.

It does get rid of, in my case,
annoying Asian/Russian dating advertising, on this site!

Going to leave it enabled for awhile.

Would I have to download an updated list all the time,
to block new types?

If there were adverts more related to Windows ten, I would not need it.

Reaction score
I know someone on w7forums and TechSpot that talk about managing their Host files. I think this is the same thing. By managing your host files you can prevent specific Host from loading anything on your machine. This prevents advertising when the advertisements come from those Host.

Reaction score
I tried to use Microsoft Edge AdBlock some time ago and I can say that it really helped me, but after a while, my brother told me that he uses another ad blockers and recommended me uBlock origin program that is a thousand times better so I tried this one too.
In the end, I came to the conclusion that it has several benefits and advantages. uBlock Origin is a steamroller of the ad blocker market segment. Despite multiple features, it does not practically consume system resources, unlike similar Chrome extensions. uBlock is the winner in “The Best feature set” and “The Best Performance” categories.
So, now I choose it.
Did you guys try?
If you need more information, you can find here
https://thinkmobiles.com/blog/best-adblockers-chrome/ .

Reaction score
Thank you for letting us know about the varieties out there.
I tried a few adblockers years ago, but was not satisfied with any.
I think all those work in the browser.

Even the Edge Adblock v1.0 which is not a program addon just a batch file, that replaces a modified hosts file in a Windows folder,
created a problem when I actually wanted to turn it off, it did not turn off!
It only adjusted some Dnscache value.
The good thing is the reference host file https://someonewhocares.org/ seems pretty good at blocking practically everything,
even blocking the window that says please turn off your adblocker. It is updated on a regular basis. I'm still using one more than a year old!
The bad thing is the empty space where the ad would be is filled with "can't connect" text along with a cut-up visual image.

To tell you the truth, I don't mind regular safe adds from google. So what I did was edit the hosts file by adding # in front of anything Google.
Another thing I did was download a different batch file from:
What it does is renames the file from HOSTS to NOHOSTS,
or renames NOHOSTS to HOSTS. It had to be run as administrator to work correctly.
In that way, it will totally turn the hosts file on or off.
When I really want to do online shopping all the ads are displayed, it's off.
When I want added security along with non-irritating Google ads, it's on. So on this forum I still see adds, just not the Russian dating ones. :)

Reaction score
Adblock plus allows certain "approved" ads. uBlock Origin does not. And I'm pretty sure it's open source

Reaction score
I use AdGuard full program but previously to this I used the AdGuard edge extension & Ghostery extension.

Reaction score
I've done side-by-side comparisons of Adblock plus and Ublock Origin on both Chrome and Mozilla browsers. Ublock blocks much much more than Adblock especially on the video sites (Youtube, ESPN etc.). It also does a better job at evading ad-block detectors once you add the Nano filters. It really is no contest. Ublock is unequaled when it comes to adblocking.

Edit: It should also be noted that Dan Pollock's Host File, which is used by Edge AdBlock, can easily be added to Ublock Origin for Chrome or Mozilla. No need to modify your system's hosts file

Last edited:

Ask a Question