Microsoft Edge startup (new)

Reaction score
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application
I recently noticed a new start up programme which has appeared in task manager (see above)

I have access to 4 browsers; namely, Firefox, Vivaldi, Microsoft Edge and Chrome.

I rarely use Edge. I suspect this problem start up came as /from, a windows update.

Do I need this intrusion, or is Microsoft buggering about again installing JUNK?

Reaction score
That entry in Program Files (x86) appears to be normal, this is mine on Win11, it's exactly the same as on my Win10 [I don't use extensions on either]:

1680905392019.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
It isn't a " startup" program. At least, if you are running 64bit. With 64bit, it is unused so has no effect on the performance

Reaction score
Hi. Why therefore, has Microsoft installed it?
Purpose etc.
It is noted as a start up programme in Task Manager.

Reaction score
Purpose etc.
Why? Edge has become the replacement for Internet Explorer, the Browser that has been in Windows for a couple four decades. Apple has Safari Browser for while now also, both in Mac OS X [and used be available for Windows] and the newer macOS. Various 'flavors' of Linux have included a Browser. My only question is why not a 64-bit version, especially since Win11 is available as only 64-bit.

Reaction score
Purpose etc.
One of Microsofts boasts is backward compatibility, that includes coping with the architecture on ten or more different computer manufacurers.

Reaction score
Thanks. It confirms for me the fact that I will never understand the logic (as such) of the Microsoft mind.
i still do not understand why they have included this as a start up program.
Like junk, do they?

Reaction score
Thanks. It confirms for me the fact that I will never understand the logic (as such) of the Microsoft mind.
i still do not understand why they have included this as a start up program.
Like junk, do they?
I think it's all about the OOBE [Out Of Box Experience] in providing a number of things for users to get acquainted with and be useful right after setup without first having to download/install more programs [now apps] to do things. An example would be the Write program I first got acquainted with in Windows 3.1 of 1992, the file still exists up through Win11 but opens WordPad, a 'lite' version of their word processor Word but doesn't have all the features of the larger program. What I've seen over the years and versions is that Microsoft continues to add features that we've had to get separately, notably support for PDF files in the Browser, same for Firefox and maybe others.

Ask a Question