Microsoft Flight Simulator problems

Reaction score
I changed over from windows 7 letting the computer do the file moving etc. most things seemed to work but I was too busy to check everything immediately afterwards and so the FS's had to wait. I had installed the following in windows 7 all are Microsoft products FS Combat 3, FS X , FS 2004 and FS 2002. Only the early FS 2002 version now works, the FS 2004 I managed to reinstalled but it will not open, FS X will not uninstall or reinstall or open , FS Combat 3 I am told is not compatible anyway but it would not install either.

A great pity I had done a disk clean in an attempt to get these to work as now the facility to return to windows 7 has been deleted from settings by this action otherwise i would go back...to do it now would create a lot of work and expense as I usually have to get professional assistance. I am very disappointed with 10.

hTconeM9user

Running Latest version Office insider 376
Reaction score
Look for your windows old folder you should be able to roll back with that.
Click on File Explorer
Then click My PC
Then C Driver
Then scroll down where you will find windows under that should be Windows old
That should still have files in it to get you back to 7

Reaction score
I've been in the process of working to help a friend with the same issues with FSX and FS2004, neither of which work properly after he upgraded from Win7 to Win10. FSX would work for a while, but then would crash. He uninstalled FSX and hasn't been able to reinstall it. We're now working with FS2004 and it sounds like the same issue you're having Ken. If I come upon a working solution, I'll be sure to pass it on.

Reaction score
Well I have had a tiny bit of success, i finally got FS X to work, the trouble was I did so much fiddling I am not sure which did the trick but basically I got into the main program list and right clicked on the FSX entry ( not in FS Games folder ) and found it suddenly had a compatibility tab and changed it to vista or 7 , not sure which. Prior to that I had run the troubleshooter and on a test it did open so that gave me hope that it was in there somewhere to keep going I then went back to this list and selected an icon of a plane on it and made that the shortcut,, deleted the original and when I clicked on the new one we had lift off,
But the FS 2004 beats me, I tried a link in Microsoft which updated to version 9.1, then checked Direct X was correct but the remaining instructions related to versions before 10 and I could not use to them.. I will post anything further that comes up. At present I am going to uninstall 2004, then disable AV and firewall and try again because I remember years ago they interfered with FS installations this is what I was working on https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/837195, If you try it I hope you have some luck with it regards Ken

Reaction score
Look for your windows old folder you should be able to roll back with that.
Click on File Explorer
Then click My PC
Then C Driver
Then scroll down where you will find windows under that should be Windows old
That should still have files in it to get you back to 7
Thanks for the info, I do realise this is a backwards step so I am not going to have a knee jerk reaction, but I had a quick look at the list in the windows folder but could not spot a roll back, does it have a significant name please ? ken

Reaction score
Well I have had a tiny bit of success, i finally got FS X to work, the trouble was I did so much fiddling I am not sure which did the trick but basically I got into the main program list and right clicked on the FSX entry ( not in FS Games folder ) and found it suddenly had a compatibility tab and changed it to vista or 7 , not sure which. Prior to that I had run the troubleshooter and on a test it did open so that gave me hope that it was in there somewhere to keep going I then went back to this list and selected an icon of a plane on it and made that the shortcut,, deleted the original and when I clicked on the new one we had lift off,
But the FS 2004 beats me, I tried a link in Microsoft which updated to version 9.1, then checked Direct X was correct but the remaining instructions related to versions before 10 and I could not use to them.. I will post anything further that comes up. At present I am going to uninstall 2004, then disable AV and firewall and try again because I remember years ago they interfered with FS installations this is what I was working on https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/837195, If you try it I hope you have some luck with it regards Ken

I did all the above uninstall by using Revo Uninstaller Pro (free trial ) it got rid of it, then disabled the firewall etc and installed the custom version but no joy. I tried the trouble shooter but it does not recognise FS9.exe file so I can't check it's compatibility do you know the correct file path designation ?, this may be the only way left to make it work. Ken

Reaction score
For some reason, the shortcut on the desktop is whacked after the FS9 install. Delete that one and to create a new one, go to directly to the Flight Simulator folder and locate FS9.exe. Right click on it and choose 'Send to' from the popup menu. From that menu, choose 'Desktop (create shortcut)'. That should then create a shortcut on your desktop with all the correct path information. Hopefully, that will get you going.

Reaction score
I'm afraid it did not. I found an FS9.exe with an icon of a plane OK in the folder and right clicked that, it put an icon on the desktop but clicking it produced no action at all. I have noticed that there is no compatibility tab in this software and wondered if this is what is wrong, I mentioned this in an earlier post if the computer would only recognise the file path in troubleshooter it may at least be able to run a test but it does not recognise it or even list it. .
I have even tried clicking install/run from the disk and this did not work either. I think I may have to drag out my old computer that has the XP O S installed and just use it for gaming the older sims. I already have this problem with a very old F S Combat Europe that will not work in 7 or 10 !

Reaction score
Just for the heck of it, right click on that FS9.exe and choose 'Run as administrator'. See if it runs the program then.

Ask a Question