Microsoft Home Publishing

Reaction score
Good Morning, I really hope someone can help me! I am not a computer expert and somehow updated my main computer to Windows 10, about a year ago (I think). Before this I used Microsoft Home Publishing to store all my Christmas card lists and designed two different labels (16 per sheet) with artwork relating to the festive season. It seemed Windows 10 did not like this software but, with the help of a computer technician managed to by-pass the problems. Thing is, one year later and I couldn’t remember what he did. I called out another technician who has really messed up my data base!! The thing is, I want a comparable programme to buy where I can design new labels but still use my Home Publishing database if this is possible! Is there such a thing out there or could you recommend another programme where I can design my labels (simply) and I would put all my addresses in again (ouch)! Hope to hear from someone who can help (I’ve tried downloading free label software from the internet but it seemed these were full of viruses and it’s not something I can deal with! Thank you in anticipation.

Reaction score
More of a question than a solution: had you been able to or was it possible to back up your database from Home Publisher? Microsoft also had Publisher which may have been able to use that backup or maybe Microsoft Access database program could? If there was a backup feature it may have been able to save as a .csv format which many programs can use as a spreadsheet. Microsoft Word and other word processors have a mail merge feature that may be able to use the .csv file as a source. A paid-for program for creating cards and various things is Hallmark Greeting Cards. For plain labels I have been using WordPerfect since back with Windows 3.1.

As for Home Publisher installation, it may be like Microsoft Picture It! of some 10 years or so ago that failed in trying to install an old version of Internet Explorer but there was a file that could be changed or added to stop that and let the install proceed.

Reaction score
DID your first technician install Home Publisher in compatibility mode? That often works. Some older programs will work fine if the Installer only is run in compatibility mode.

Reaction score
Thank you for your replies. Home Publishing was already installed when I ‘upgraded’ to Windows 10. I am in no way technically proficient so can’t understand how to implement some of these suggestions but thank you all the same.

Ask a Question