Microsoft Outlook message

Reaction score
I keep getting this message in my email.

One or more folders in your mailbox is named incorrectly.

The name of one or more of your folders includes the character "/" or more than 250 characters. Folders with names that include this character can't be downloaded to your IMAP e-mail program. Please rename these folders:

I have no idea how to resolve this issue. Ideas??? Please help.

Reaction score
Thanks to the propensity of Microsoft using the same name for different things it does get confusing.

Usually one can create or rename Folders in Microsoft Outlook. If using Outlook.com [Webmail] you should be able to do the same, I have. It appears all that needs doing is to remove the / [Forward slash], I'd replace it with the underscore _, should work. Or if the name or 'path' is too long just shorten it a few characters, it shouldn't change the meaning/identification. The / is frequently used on the Internet in URLs/Addresses while the \ [back slash] is used in file management on computers.

The IMAP part is used by an installed E-Mail Client to download messages from places like Outlook.com, Hotmail.com, Gmail, Yahoo Mail, etc., different from POP provided by your ISP which uses POP3 for incoming messages and SMTP for outgoing messages.

Reaction score
Thank you. This was an old folder so I do not know why the problem popped up now. I have changed the name of the folder. Hopefully this will solve the issue.

Ask a Question