SOLVED Microsoft password hell

Reaction score
New pc, everytime I try to use it I get queried for password, which I do, but alway keep getting message that its incorrect.
Used to be on my old pc,windows 10 also, that you could set up an automatic login so you never see that XXXXpassword crap:
This is the easiest way automatically login to Windows 10 without entering the password.

Step 1: First step is to open Run command box by simultaneously pressing Windows logo and R keys (Windows+R). In the Run dialog box, type Netplwiz and then press Enter key.

Step 2: In the resulting User Accounts dialog, select your user account first and then uncheck the option labelled Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer. Click Apply button to see Automatically sign in box.

Step 3: In the Automatically sign in dialog, type your password and then re-enter the password to confirm the same.

Finally, click OK button

I did that again, but keep getting the password screen. Is there a way out this mess?

Reaction score
OK, found the answer.
Settings/security/sign-in options/delete the hello sign-in, and the steps in this thread (above) do work.

Reaction score
Guess I was wrong. Settings/security/sign-in options/delete the hello sign-in, and the steps in this thread (above) do NOT work, and you are stuck with hello screen like it or not, regardless of them saying in settings that you can remove the hello screen. Just more BS.

So far, in 3 days, I HAD to create a logon password, then a pin in case I forget the password. Also had to create a Microsoft account or I can't get online. Today, I got another screen asking for my e-mail address and password. Fortunately, I was able just to close that window cause no way in hell am I doing that. Chromebook here I come.

Reaction score
I use the same letters/numbers for both my login and pin. I have used the netplwiz on new installs as a standard routine, as soon as I am able to access the desktop. I have never, after doing that, been required to enter again on a reboot or fresh start up.

Sorry, but I cannot see any reason why you should need a Microsoft account to get on the web!

FWIW, I select "Sign in with a password", as my sign in option. I do not have the welcome screen

Reaction score
I think I get the welcome screen. But since I don't use a password for the local account, it boots straight to desktop. And like davehc mentioned I have Internet while using the local account. It is Microsoft services that you need a Microsoft account for.

Reaction score
I think I get the welcome screen. But since I don't use a password for the local account, it boots straight to desktop. And like davehc mentioned I have Internet while using the local account. It is Microsoft services that you need a Microsoft account for.
Correct. As said, I do log on automatically, Never paid much attention to it but I assume, if there is a welcome screen, it comes and goes quickly.

Reaction score
Can I presume that you both have existing windows setups? Mine is a brand new pc with whatever version they loaded. My old pc had none of these problems, was able to set it to logon automatically too. Did not have a hello screen, did not have to set up microsoft acct. Did NOT ever get asked for my e-mail password.I am thinking as you get updates, you may have the same problems I do. Where can I find my windows version ? I thought I had 1909 but maybe not.
It IS a genuine PITA. I am not ( think) on a local acct.

This was the way I had set it to auto logon:
In the Run dialog box, type Netplwiz and then press Enter key.

Step 2: In the resulting User Accounts dialog, select your user account first and then uncheck the option labelled Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer. Click Apply button to see Automatically sign in box.

Step 3: In the Automatically sign in dialog, type your password and then re-enter the password to confirm the same.

Finally, click OK button.
On this new pc, I can use those settings, but I still get the hello screen asking for password. And in settings, windows says you can remove the hello screen, which I did , but again it never took effect.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Have you followed the option, as in the last sentence of my post #7 ?

Right click the start icon and, in the “run” box, type “ winver” and enter, That should tell you which version you are using, but that is not your problem.

Ask a Question