Microsoft Word 2010 does not read/open .doc files

Reaction score
Hello,

I have recently lost download a number .doc files. However Microsoft Word 2010 does not read/open them most probably because they are corrupted. This is apparently a common problem. I have tried Open and Repair command but it doesn't work. how to view corrupted word files?
Any views/ advice is much appreciated.

Regards
Thomas

Reaction score
When you say you downloaded them, what was the source? Just because a file has a .doc extension it doesn't mean it's actually a .doc file format. Have you tried to create a new .doc in Word and then reopen it? Or, assuming you have a Microsoft account, go to Office online and open the document there. If Word Online doesn't open it, it's probably not a real .doc formatted file.

Reaction score
As OGG says. Many sites prohibit the e use, for example, *.zip files. To overcome this, the sender will rename the handle to .doc - very common.

Reaction score
Have you checked the file association. Right click on the files, under the general tab, you should see opens with "Word" if not, click on "Change" and associate the file with Word.

Reaction score
I want to say thank you for taking the time to share how to solve my problem. But i still getting this error.

Old Guy Geek, I have downloaded the files from one site.

Ask a Question