SOLVED Missing folders

Reaction score
My Win10 TO suddenly is missing Favorite Folders and Recent Files.
They were there before. That's a fact.

Who know how to get them back, short of system restore ?

2.jpg

Reaction score
I cannot say you are wrong, but I do not recall those items being there? Mine looks exactly like yours.

Reaction score
I was looking at the top bar!

I think, what you may have done, is deleted the history.

File - Delete History. fwiw. I don't have those folders either.

Reaction score
I just noticed. If I highlight one of the recent files two new "manage" options appear on the ribbon. One is shortcut tools and the other is picture tools. Shortcut opens the file and picture has options to set as desktop background, etc. There is also a delete option but it is only for the file you have highlighted. Also noticed that the delete has options to permanently delete or put in the recycle bin. Looks like a lot of subtle changes are incorporated in Win 10.

Reaction score
Have you tried the Taskbar -right click "properties" - Start menu Tab. Check "Store and display recently opened items in the Start menu and TaskBar"
I know it doesn't mention the file manager, but they work together.

Reaction score
They are all checked.
Does not matter. I don't need them anyway.
I asked just for the wanting to know.

w10

Reaction score
Hi davidhk129,

This linked article seems to support your case that they were originally there by default. It also shows one how to remove them via a start menu option change. This article is dated October 17th. Also, please note that one user reported he reversed the option in question and cannot get that original view back. I have also tried toggling that option and it has no effect on the explorer view. Maybe MS fixed/changed how that option works with a recent Windows Update?

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/windows-10-tip-clean-home-view-file-explorer

Last edited:
Reaction score
Have you tried the Taskbar -right click "properties" - Start menu Tab. Check "Store and display recently opened items in the Start menu and TaskBar"
I know it doesn't mention the file manager, but they work together.

You were right.
That was the answer.
I did not investigate further before I replied.

Thank you.

Ask a Question