Monitor Blank after 1709 update

Reaction score
I have a dual monitor setup that was previously working prior to updating to 1709. My main monitor is an ASUS VG248QE using display port. This monitor is working fine. My secondary monitor is an old NEC LCD 1920 NX monitor using DVI cable. Both are plugged into my GPU NVidia Geforce GTX 660.

Problem: My secondary monitor has a black screen while my main asus monitor is fine. The indicator light on the secondary monitor is green (indicating that signal is present). Also when going into display settings it shows that the monitor is detected and it has its recommended resolution settings. My computer thinks its on and working. Sometimes things get opened up on the other monitor, but I can see it bc all i see is a black/blank screen. This all occurred after updating to 1709 creaters update.

I already reinstalled my display drivers. I even tried restoring back to 1703 but the problem persisted. I then updated back to 1709 and problem still persisted.

Has anyone had similar problem and found solution ?

Reaction score
Hi ! Do you think that the monitor may have died. It doesn't seem to be a update problem sense you rolled back the update and still had the problem. Take the monitor to a local repair shop and have them them test it.
Welcome to the forum!

Reaction score
Hi whatevkev,

have you tried swapping the monitors around, using the older one as the main monitor and does that work?. :)

Regedit32

Reaction score
Dual monitors is not something I'm terribly knowledgeable about, but it might help if you can press your Windows key + P and verify which Project status is selected:
  • PC Screen Only
  • Duplicate
  • Extend
  • Second Screen Only

Reaction score
I have dual monitors at work. My system updated to 1709 recently and I lost the second monitor that was connected to a PCIE NVIDIA graphics card. Windows 10 did report in device manager that the graphics card was attached, but unfortunately did not give the correct driver for it i.e. gave a generic WDM driver. As soon as I got the correct driver, my display worked again.

Reaction score
I have this same problem everytime there's a major update to Windows 10. Its forgets all your configuration settings after the update. Go to Nvidia and download the latest version of the nvidia drivers. Go to nvidia settings and adjust the display settings there, don't use windows display settings.
If you have two graphics cards, go to Configure SLI settings and reset the the configuration that you want to use. Then go multiple displays and change your settings there.

In my case, I had two graphics card with a monitor connected to each. Only one would monitor would work, the other show a black screen. The SLI setting was turned on and set to maximize 3D, making the ports on my second graphics card dead. I decided to leave SLI on, but had to move the DP cable on the dead monitor over to other graphics card. Then went to multple displays and checked both monitors for use.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have a dual monitor setup that was previously working prior to updating to 1709. My main monitor is an ASUS VG248QE using display port. This monitor is working fine. My secondary monitor is an old NEC LCD 1920 NX monitor using DVI cable. Both are plugged into my GPU NVidia Geforce GTX 660.

Problem: My secondary monitor has a black screen while my main asus monitor is fine. The indicator light on the secondary monitor is green (indicating that signal is present). Also when going into display settings it shows that the monitor is detected and it has its recommended resolution settings. My computer thinks its on and working. Sometimes things get opened up on the other monitor, but I can see it bc all i see is a black/blank screen. This all occurred after updating to 1709 creaters update.

I already reinstalled my display drivers. I even tried restoring back to 1703 but the problem persisted. I then updated back to 1709 and problem still persisted.

Has anyone had similar problem and found solution ?

Is the screen really black or just bluish black?? If really black, that means your back light is out and the CCFL's have burned out. If it is bluish black that means the monitor is working so far but cannot display the content due to a fault TCON board (that is the board that controls the display). In both cases, I am afraid, a new screen is due and from my experience a repair costs more than a new monitor ( I fix monitors, TV's etc. for a living) .
Sorry for the bad news.

Ask a Question